PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Sap Hauler

TerryEspo
03-12-2015, 10:06 AM
My son and I played with the idea of an old junkie pair of downhill skis and one pallet. Skis are available for $5.00-$10.00 at any used Goodwill or recycle type store, pallet is free, few wood screws, piece of rope and a section of poly for a handle.

I plan to haul my garbage cans to the road (300ft) all winter and then come sap time it should be a stable hauler, not good for deep snow I imagine.

Pulled my son (95 lbs.) on hard pack crunchy snow with one finger, glides like butter.

Hope someone can use this simple easy plan.

Good luck this season.

Terry

Run Forest Run!
03-12-2015, 10:08 AM
Love it Terry. Great idea.

MapleLady
03-12-2015, 05:25 PM
Great idea! I am now wondering if this type of design might help me get my sap up hill from my trees to my arch. I am getting tired of lugging 2 big pails! We do have some old skis in the garage and some scrap lumber -- never thought of this one. Hmmmm........ :)

WI Sugarpop
03-12-2015, 08:22 PM
My son and I played with the idea of an old junkie pair of downhill skis and one pallet. Skis are available for $5.00-$10.00 at any used Goodwill or recycle type store, pallet is free, few wood screws, piece of rope and a section of poly for a handle.

I plan to haul my garbage cans to the road (300ft) all winter and then come sap time it should be a stable hauler, not good for deep snow I imagine.

Pulled my son (95 lbs.) on hard pack crunchy snow with one finger, glides like butter.

Hope someone can use this simple easy plan.

Good luck this season.

Terry

Have fun on a hill!!!!!!!!:lol:

Cedar Eater
03-12-2015, 08:58 PM
Looks like a great idea. Worst case, you need more height in deep snow to keep from plowing with the pallet. You can use ropes and pulleys to lower heavy weights down hills or raise up hills. I've done that to get my canoe into and out of rivers. Skis will probably want to stay in previous tracks, which should be an advantage. It will probably work well for moving firewood. Put harnesses on your dogs or kids and shout "Mush!"

sams64
03-12-2015, 09:03 PM
I just did almost the exact same thing. Used a live well instead of garbage cans, but besides that almost the exact same thing.

Sam

retubjb
03-12-2015, 09:20 PM
I used water skis for a wider ski and then put wood blocks between the skis and the pallet to lift the pallet up higher. I strapped an upright, open topped blue barrel to the pallet and pulled it with a snowmobile. This year I will use an enclosed blue barrel on its side for a lower center of gravity. Look up miwilderness for maple sap storage on you tube for the idea. Low budget and repurposed is a great way to go.