PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Sap?

personandy2
03-12-2015, 10:06 AM
Hey all,

I checked a few of my buckets yesterday and found some distinctly yellow sap in a few of them. I've only ever seen this before very late in the season when the trees are starting to bud and the season is basically over.

I tapped on feb 21st hoping the weather was turning but we then had a 7-10 day cold spell. could that be the issue, that the trees weren't quite ready to go?

any thoughts? all other trees have been crystal clear otherwise.

thanks!

Andy

KV Sappers
03-12-2015, 06:13 PM
Could be rain water got into some of your buckets.

slammer3364
03-12-2015, 11:55 PM
Are the trees near a creek or flowing spring. Occasionally I will get something like this with trees by water

Etown Maple Syrup
03-13-2015, 01:22 PM
I tend to agree with the yellow sap = budding; in my experience. but I do not stop collecting/boiling until the sugar drops below 1% and or the holes dry out. Additionally as the days get warmer, the sap bacteria level increases causing color changes. It was 55 two days in a row here this week. Are you able to check the sugar content? If it is still above 1% I would boil it, You will get a darker syrup.

johnallin
03-13-2015, 01:45 PM
I had the same thing over here yesterday, not yellow but not as clear as it normally would have been. Sugar was 1.7% - fair for us.

I figure (hope?) it's because it's been warm, but am anxious to bet out there later and see what we got today.

personandy2
03-14-2015, 08:33 PM
Everything has been crystal clear since that day. I wonder if I just tapped a bit too early.

northwoods_forestry
03-14-2015, 08:54 PM
Rainwater running off tree bark and into the buckets can color sap yellow. You'll see it in buckets that are hung in such a way that water running down the tree or off larger limbs can get in. If that's what is happening, you'll see it again next time it rains.

5050racing
03-14-2015, 09:10 PM
If u have tubing into buckets rain follows the tube into bucket just had 2 of mine do it