PDA

View Full Version : Holding sweet through a warm spell

maple marc
03-12-2015, 06:14 AM
I'm facing an unusual situation here--a long warm spell after my first boil. Of course it's a late start for us here in Ohio. Usually I am putting a heat lamp under the evaporator to keep the flues from freezing . Yesterday I boiled my first meager run of 135 gallons on my 2x6. Now I have maybe 25 gallons of sweet. With temperatures in the 50s, and perhaps not another run for a week, I'm worried about the sweet spoiling. One idea I have is to build a small fire and simmer the sweet a bit, reducing it carefully so that I might have a small enough amount ( 12 gallons perhaps) to fill a couple of buckets and store in a fridge. My evaporator has no valve between pans, and no drop flue drain. I would have to use a siphon to drain flues. Anyone else try something like this? Other ideas? Let's hope we do have another run. I would hate to see the season end here, boiling on a turkey fryer on the back porch for 2 gallons of syrup.

Thanks.

huntingken111
03-12-2015, 07:12 AM
Could keep adding water to flue so the sweet stuff will keep pushing to front till it is ready to draw off