PDA

View Full Version : Is this year gonna be a bust?

Chris Zeger
03-12-2015, 04:48 AM
This is my first year tapping and making syrup. The first few days this week I pulled 25-30 gallons a day off 38 taps now I'm not getting but 4 or 5 gallons a day with the warm temperatures will we see another couple runs? I know next week the forecast looks good but will it be over by then?

bowhunter
03-12-2015, 05:23 AM
No one knows for sure, but this is my third year and this is the worst year of the three. You should expect to collect about 12 gallons of sap per tap for the season. (on gravity) I've gotten a little less than 3 gallons per tap so far but the ground is still frozen in the woods so I'm not expecting any big runs until that happens. It looks like we're just running out of calendar and the night time lows are going to be too high to have very many more runs before the trees bud out.

5050racing
03-12-2015, 07:33 AM
Same here NJ nothing but little drip,more than a foot of snow n frozen but 60* yesterday and nothing starting to get scared?? Glade I have syrup from last year to hold me!

DrTimPerkins
03-12-2015, 08:11 AM
I know next week the forecast looks good but will it be over by then?

Unless the temperatures get above 55 deg F for several days and you get a refreeze within another week or so then you should be OK. We didn't make a drop of syrup until March 29th last year, and still made a full crop. Only difference was that the season was 3 weeks long instead of 5-8 weeks.

Chris Zeger
03-12-2015, 09:50 AM
Looks like we are gonna have 3 or 4 days in low to mid 50 then next week highs in mid 40 with lows in the high 20. Will the warm spell end it all or will we be ok next week

DrTimPerkins
03-12-2015, 10:24 AM
Looks like we are gonna have 3 or 4 days in low to mid 50 then next week highs in mid 40 with lows in the high 20. Will the warm spell end it all or will we be ok next week

Hard to say for sure -- only time will tell. Much will depend upon the actual temperatures and to the spout sanitation practices used.

CrossBroMaple
03-12-2015, 12:48 PM
you can make a lot of syrup in a short time. im not giving in yet even though my trees aren't giving me the sap

jmayerl
03-12-2015, 01:20 PM
hopefully its not a bust for you, at least you guys had some snow cover. here in norther wisconsin we had no snow here so we have been in the 50's and low 60's for 5 days with no freeze at night. forcast is mid 60's next 5 days. looks like right now we wont even fire up the evaporator this year.

BreezyHill
03-12-2015, 01:26 PM
Hahaha...WELCOME TO FARMING!

The only From of Gambling that is Legal in all 50 States and The Districted of Columbia; plus every country around the world.

Some years you are the Bat others you are the Ball

Just Keep Swing for the Fence...

WESTMAPLES
03-12-2015, 01:36 PM
breezyhill is right on welcome to farming its never a sure thing ive lived with it that way all my life, and even if you spend lots of money and do everything right it can still let you down as for sugaring its a toss up also my bush right here by my house hasn`t had a good run or thaw and freeze cycle in 2 days but my other bush 4 miles away at a slightly different elevation is running like mad the releaser is cycling non stop because it did have a proper freeze/thaw cycle hopes are that things will turn out good for all its not over till the buds pop !!!!

markcasper
03-12-2015, 03:06 PM
hopefully its not a bust for you, at least you guys had some snow cover. here in norther wisconsin we had no snow here so we have been in the 50's and low 60's for 5 days with no freeze at night. forcast is mid 60's next 5 days. looks like right now we wont even fire up the evaporator this year.

Good grief jmayerl, I'm only half done tapping and going to get vacuum on a woods now and just got off the phone with my neighbor telling him not to tap bags until next week and that things are looking better then. I guess listening to you its easy to get depressed, geesh!! Their is friggin frost in the ground and maybe only an inch is out and is greasy and miserable walking. I don't call the season with conditions like this.

jmayerl
03-12-2015, 03:42 PM
Good grief jmayerl, I'm only half done tapping and going to get vacuum on a woods now and just got off the phone with my neighbor telling him not to tap bags until next week and that things are looking better then. I guess listening to you its easy to get depressed, geesh!! Their is friggin frost in the ground and maybe only an inch is out and is greasy and miserable walking. I don't call the season with conditions like this.

Mark-
You guys south of us had snow, we never had more than 2" on the ground. Frost....nope on that either. All surface water went down on Monday. Go north of us 15 miles and they still have snow also. It is what it is