PDA

View Full Version : Syrup temperature alarm

Cedar Eater
03-11-2015, 09:19 PM
For small-batch hobby production, I'm looking for a remote alarm to let me know when a boil has reached a certain temperature. I'm having trouble finding anything other than a digital meat thermometer that can do this. Meat thermometer probes aren't generally immersible. Can anyone recommend a product?

Uncle Dave
03-11-2015, 10:01 PM
I have used the digital thermometer with good success have one that has lasted 5 years now. Just have to make a bracket that holds it off the bottom of the pan, much like the bracket on a candy thermometer. Have three and all read a little different but consistent.

JTripp
03-11-2015, 10:37 PM
I have just used a meat thermometer too. Just suspend the probe so it doesn't touch the pan. All that needs to contact is the tip, to be immersed in the liquid, the whole probe doesn't need to. Of course any thermometer won't want to touch the pan for accurate readings.

Cedar Eater
03-11-2015, 11:28 PM
Thanks. Is there a particular brand and model that either of you (or anyone else) recommend?

Flatlader
03-12-2015, 04:57 AM
Cedar

I get mine at thermoworks online. Fast and accurate. Little pricey but very accurate and you can use them for anything.

jrm
03-12-2015, 07:13 PM
I also is a Thermoworks Chef Alarm. I bought a separate probe, http://www.amazon.com/ThermoWorks-Pro--Needle-Probe-ChefAlarm/dp/B00EZBB8AQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1426205055&sr=8-4&keywords=thermoworks+chefalarm , with a silicone cable which helps protect from the water issues. It was described as immersibble, so I don't worry about sap, stay, wate, cleaning, etc.

Cedar Eater
03-12-2015, 07:37 PM
I also is a Thermoworks Chef Alarm. I bought a separate probe, http://www.amazon.com/ThermoWorks-Pro--Needle-Probe-ChefAlarm/dp/B00EZBB8AQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1426205055&sr=8-4&keywords=thermoworks+chefalarm , with a silicone cable which helps protect from the water issues. It was described as immersibble, so I don't worry about sap, stay, wate, cleaning, etc.

My wife ordered one of these today and got the same extra probe. She ordered direct from Thermoworks and got the extra probe for $8.

Cedar Eater
03-12-2015, 07:46 PM
Thanks to everyone who helped me with this. We were hesitant to spend this much, but that Chef Alarm was very popular on Amazon.