PDA

View Full Version : starting off slow and low sugar content anyone else having the same results?

ctjim
03-11-2015, 06:53 PM
we tapped last monday and have had little sap flow even with our vac system granted we tap mostly reds but even the few sugars i tap that are yard trees nice big crowns have barely filled the buckets. our reds always seem to run low sugar content but the yard trees are usually high up around 2% or better. not sure whats going on besides my guess the trees are still frozen along with the roots seems to be alot of frost in the ground this year? took a drive by a neighboring bush that i dont tap and their cage tank was only at about 75-100 gals yesterday afternoon normally that tank would be almost 1/2 to 3/4 full by late afternoon no vac on that bush either. just wondering if anyone else is seeing the same results?

DrTimPerkins
03-11-2015, 07:16 PM
just wondering if anyone else is seeing the same results?

Typical early season slow start. It (sap volume and sugar content) will pick up.

wildlifewarrior
03-11-2015, 07:38 PM
Dr. Tim, We have about 30 taps on a guzzler (first time with one) we have been checking leaks constantly and even replaced a diaphragm, in 4 days we have gotten 2-3 gallons? Have you noticed buckets do better earlier in the season than vacuum?

Thanks
Mike

js4fn
03-11-2015, 07:47 PM
My lines are doing better than my buckets/5ga pails and they are pitiful some 5 gallon pails half full others just a drop