PDA

View Full Version : What gives?

Cape tapper
03-11-2015, 05:11 PM
As I said in previous posts, this is my first year tapping. I have 24 taps all in reds that are 24 inches or bigger. I have only collected 10 gallons so far and nothing is moving as of today. On the other hand I sampled a small tree that is about 10". It has dripped consistently for 24 hours. Is it possible that the large trees are just not moving yet?

I am in the very southern part of the state but we had it just as cold as the rest of the state this winter. Do the roots have to "warm" up to start moving?

njwoodsman
03-12-2015, 11:22 AM
Every tree is different but in general bigger trees usually do take a little longer to get going. It can be frustrating at times as you have said because some days you will have some trees with buckets over-flowing and others with barely anything. Be patient and take notes on your observations. I did that my first couple seasons and it helped tremendously in planning for the next year. You will start to learn which trees are your producers and which are not as well as the effect of weather conditions, bucket placement, etc.