PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum question

Rangdale
03-11-2015, 06:10 AM
This is probably a dumb question, but do you still need a run of elevation when using a vacuum or can it be a level run? (or perhaps even a few at a very slight incline?

BreezyHill
03-11-2015, 06:47 AM
The sap wil need to run down hill unless you use a ladder to raise it in a straight up riser.

1-2% slope is minimum. 2% best as to allow for a minor sap in a line. Anything more than the width of the pipe will cause poor vac transfer past the pool.

sapman
03-11-2015, 07:44 AM
I agree 100% with Breezy in regards to mainlines. With laterals, the same is still ideal, but my woods is far from ideal. Many laterals in my swamp are flat (if i'm lucky) or going uphill a little. Downside is poorer vac to the taphole, and longer thaw time. Still, it works.

lyford
03-11-2015, 08:58 AM
Been thinking about getting into vacuum for the past couple years. I know my land doesn't have much slope. How do I figure out just how much slope I have? Thanks.

BreezyHill
03-11-2015, 09:31 AM
Been thinking about getting into vacuum for the past couple years. I know my land doesn't have much slope. How do I figure out just how much slope I have? Thanks.

The most accurate is a transit instrument. You can get them off ebay or clist relatively cheap$50-$75.

Then there are two hand held units that I use. one is a http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Keuffel-Esser-Co-NY-Inclinometer-Surveyor-Tool-/321686839305?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae607a009

The other is a:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Satshooter-Inclinometer-Compass-Satellite-Angle-Finder-Tool-Tandem-Site-Survey-/151458995901?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2343a8debd

These are called clinometers the aluminum one I have has no compass. Very good for shooting 5/16 lines to get to minimal grade and still have slope so that I get vac to the last tap.

The black unit also does not have the compass and you can adjust the slope you want on the side and sight the object and split the bubble and you are on grade.

When I run a mains I use the level, transit and a range finder to paint a dot on the tree and have my location. I carry the aluminum unit around my neck on a cord.

If you pool a line you lose vac transfer by at least half if not more. So to keep the operation out of the read I run as little as 1%, ladders lines are at 2%.
All it takes is a pool of sap in a line and you can go from a half gallon of syrup per tap to a quart.

My future daughter in law as the app on her top of the line I phone and it is very unreliable when compared to these units. I had her do 10 sites and most were off by atleast 2%, one was 5% off. It would have been disastrous to production. Since 8 would have had negative slope. The short sites were nearly spot on. So I think it is a sensitivity issue; but most of my shoots are over 100'. if doing posts at 15' it may work well for you.

Ben

BreezyHill
03-11-2015, 09:48 AM
If thinking of vac then remember that 15" of vac will give you 150% more sap than gravity and for every inch over 15" you are looking at 3-5% more production.

I use recycled dairy equipment. My dad was a surge dealer and I rebuild units.

My releaser is a pyrex glass delaval 2" unit. It is awesome for tours so that people can see the sap coming in thru the manifold from different mains and the back line is the dryline. Cost for the system was around $75 mostly for the unistrut hangers and new seals. Glass was all free for getting it out of the barns.
These are the grade units I use...couldn't find the pic earlier.

Last season I ran a Delaval 73 for backup and it finished the season when the D 75 spun a shaft. The 73 has about $100 in it. The 75 cost about $50 and has around $45 in parts and a few hours in a honing and cleaning.

I have an Alamo 75 that will be the stand by this season as we have increased the tap count from 600 to around 1100 if we can find all the lines in the snow.

Vac is a good production enhancer. On good seasons we hit nearly 1/2 gallon per tap. On bad season we were at 0.3.

The Alamo willuse more elec on a 3hp motor than the 2 that the 75 ran and a 1.5 on the 73. but still when you look at 750 watts per Hp and my rate is $0.40 per KW (1000 watts)...it is only costing me Max of $1.30 per hour to run the pump and releaser, and I get another 2.6 times the sap.

I am not pushing you to vac just want you to know there are options out there if you want to go vac.