PDA

View Full Version : How do I prevent leaking sap?

ADK_XJ
03-10-2015, 06:55 PM
I have two trees (out of 12) that I tapped Sunday that are leaking around the tap hole, I'm guessing due to "walking" of the drill bit when I tapped them. What I'm wondering is a) how bad is this (the below picture is from an entire day of running sap b) how can I fix/prevent this from happening?

Can I re-tap the hole and/or drive the tap in a little further to seal any irregularity around the tap hole? Do I just accept a certain amount of loss and be more careful next time?

SDdave
03-10-2015, 07:01 PM
I would just chalk it up as a learning experience. I noticed today that I had one tree pee spot vs. a handful last year.

SDdave

PARKER MAPLE
03-10-2015, 07:05 PM
I'm assuming your using 7/16 bucket spouts. But if your using a 5/16 tree saver bucket spout. You could re drill for a 7/16 and install the bigger spout. Make sure this time it goes in straight lol

wnybassman
03-10-2015, 07:12 PM
Once it is a leaker, there isn't much you can do. I've been doing this for nearly 20 years, and I still get them. This year I finally retired my old "1898" cast taps in favor of the rolled stainless and aluminum taps for my buckets trees. Those old cast taps would split trees like crazy. Even with the new taps I still have some weepers. Next year I will probably get a 5/16" bucket tap of some kind. Sometimes after a week or so of initial run they will dry up around the tap.

ADK_XJ
03-10-2015, 07:20 PM
Once it is a leaker, there isn't much you can do. I've been doing this for nearly 20 years, and I still get them. This year I finally retired my old "1898" cast taps in favor of the rolled stainless and aluminum taps for my buckets trees. Those old cast taps would split trees like crazy. Even with the new taps I still have some weepers. Next year I will probably get a 5/16" bucket tap of some kind. Sometimes after a week or so of initial run they will dry up around the tap.
Ah, ok - so they do close up. Yes, they're 7/16 spouts and certainly weeping more than gushing.

ADK_XJ
03-11-2015, 09:13 PM
Ah, ok - so they do close up. Yes, they're 7/16 spouts and certainly weeping more than gushing.
Noticed considerably less leakage today and things were really running strong, a few VERY full buckets. Looks like Mother Nature fixed my mistake for me this time.

John c
03-11-2015, 09:30 PM
It seems like a nice problem to have considering all my buckets are as dry as a bone. I would welcome a weeper with open arms at this point...lol

Brookmaple
03-13-2015, 10:23 PM
In addition to "walking" the bit, this can occur when you drive the taps in too far; a tendency for newbees. Aside from removing theM and re-tapping there's not much you can do once they start "sweating."

maple flats
03-14-2015, 07:34 AM
A walking bit means you did not use a good sharp bit made for maple tapping. This will happen a lot using old dull bits. Likely for future your best investment will be to invest in a real tapping bit, then keep it to use just for tapping, never use it for any other holes. It will require a cordless drill, I don't think they still make tapping bits for a bit brace. A tapping bit and enough practice to drill straight in and out without stopping the drill and with no wobble will end the leaks as long as you don't "hammer" them in too hard. Put the taps in with a light hammer (like a "ladies hammer" or tack hammer type) or use the side of a pair of lineman's pliers. You may have driven it in too far, splitting the bark at the hole. That is often the case with new producers, especially those hanging a bucket on. I did some of that in my early days. Not my first years, at that time I ran little tubing systems into a 5 gal jug on the ground, 1-3 taps each, a few years later I got a lease where the trees in the yard had to use buckets. At that time I got 99 buckets hung in the large farm yard and a few had leaks from driving the taps in too hard.

3% Solution
03-14-2015, 07:44 AM
I look at a leaking tap a little different ...
I figure this way .... "Ya can't get it all" ..... it will go back into the ground.