PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever had a vacuum gauge go bad? Did it recover?

NTBugtraq
03-10-2015, 04:57 PM
I had nearly 16" of vacuum registering on my gauge that's mounted on the vac booster tank, then I added a new spar line. Some time after that the gauge read 0", and hasn't moved from there for 5 hours (it jumps to 1" and back to 0" every time the pump oscillates, is a Guzzler). I removed the gauge and sucked on it and it registered well. I put it back into the tank and it just bounced up and down between 1" and 0". Ever had this happen? If so, what caused it?
There is clearly suction as I can feel it at any tap.

DrTimPerkins
03-10-2015, 06:28 PM
If sap gets behind the membrane or freezes close to the membrane it can rupture it. Try another gauge in the same place and see what you get. If the new one works, then you might as well toss the old one.

NTBugtraq
03-10-2015, 08:15 PM
Hiya Doc.

The pump and vacuum booster tank are in a small enclosure with a light, and the problem happened after the temp went to 37F+. Its a new unit, and the only one I have, so no "other gauge to try"...;-]

Wanabe1972
03-10-2015, 08:46 PM
I have had a few not go back to zero after use but never had one not read anything. I use these at work a lot and I would say the bladder in it came detached from the needle spring but you should not be able to make this work with your mouth. I would try a new one in the same spot.

adk1
03-10-2015, 08:50 PM
I read somewhere that there is some form of relearn screw or something on them?