PDA

View Full Version : Vapor Lock on 5/16th???

Too Tall
03-10-2015, 03:15 PM
One of my 5/16ths lines isn't producing like it should. There are 10 taps on the line. It snakes up a hill. Most of the taps are near the top of the hill (approx 50' drop over 100') but three of them are right down near my collection barrel. Could this be causing some sort of vapor lock? Up near the top of the hill I could see bubbles sloooowly moving up hill. Down toward the bottom three taps it didn't really look like there was any sap in the lines (was was some sap in each of the drops). I checked my line, no squirrel holes. I can't figure it out.

Any advice?

optionguru
03-10-2015, 03:59 PM
From what the pros say this is normal. I have felt the same way in the past.

Too Tall
03-10-2015, 08:25 PM
Ok. Thanks. I'll just sit tight on that line. I just find it curious that my other line is flowing like crazy.

LesR
03-10-2015, 08:51 PM
thanks for posting this. I am experiencing the the same thing, though my bubbles dont move. both my lines are dripping. just a single drip. might be they just arent going yet. this is just my second season. did 7 buckets last year, this year i put 21 taps in 2 5/16" lines. figuring it out as i go i guess. this site is amazing

JSEDLAK
03-11-2015, 12:42 AM
this is my first year with tubing, I have 65 taps on tubing 5/16, also not much sap. I may have about 20 gallons so far. I thought my lines were empty, till I cut one to pull the sag out and took a shot of sap to the face. The Dr. did say to give it some time, it will come, the trees have had a long, cold winter. I hope it works, I have a few hundred dollars tied up in tubing and tanks and need to get some syrup out of it.

PerryW
03-11-2015, 05:49 AM
One of my 5/16ths lines isn't producing like it should. There are 10 taps on the line. It snakes up a hill. Most of the taps are near the top of the hill (approx 50' drop over 100') but three of them are right down near my collection barrel. Could this be causing some sort of vapor lock? Up near the top of the hill I could see bubbles sloooowly moving up hill. Down toward the bottom three taps it didn't really look like there was any sap in the lines (was was some sap in each of the drops). I checked my line, no squirrel holes. I can't figure it out.

Any advice?

yup, this is normal early-season sap flow. But to test things,,,,

If you loosen one of the upper taps and can hear the air sucking into the open tap, everything is normal. If sap or air squirts out of the open tap, you have blockage somewhere downstream.