PDA

View Full Version : Leader 90 degree clear spout. Breaking

Burnt sap
03-10-2015, 02:24 PM
Anybody else having problems with Leaders new clear taps breaking off when tapping them into the tree? Not a lot of them but enough to think there is a problem. We are not hitting them to hard or miss hits just when you think it's set SNAP!

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-10-2015, 05:30 PM
I put in 600 of the clear CVs and 400 of the clear seasonal and didn't have one to break this year and last year put over 700 of the seasonal and didn't have one to break. I use the small 8 ounce claw hammer from Harbor Freight.

Locust Farms
03-10-2015, 06:06 PM
Installed 200 with no problems. Even pulled some with claw hammer to check frozen tap holes. Then reinstalled.

Dwight

DrTimPerkins
03-10-2015, 06:24 PM
We are not hitting them to hard or miss hits just when you think it's set SNAP!

What are you using for a hammer? We have four people tapping. The only one who breaks more than 1-2 uses a framing hammer. The rest of us use maple tapping hammers (lighter with a plastic head).

maple flats
03-10-2015, 06:54 PM
We put in 400 so far, 1 broke. We use 7" lineman's pliers as a hammer. Just be sure you hit them straight. We're tapping again tomorrow, hopefully similar results.

Ekrueger
03-11-2015, 08:49 AM
I broke 1 out of a bag of 100 this year with the Leader clear spout. 1 percent failure is still very low. I have not had a single break with the Lapierre spouts that I have used. Both seat and hold well. I use a plastic hammer to seat them.

Burnt sap
03-11-2015, 10:10 AM
Hey Dr. We are using Axe hammers same ones we have used for years. Think that's it? Never used any other hammer when tapping. With these new smaller taps maybe it's time to change to a lighter hammer. The Axe hammer is such a useful tool in the woods clearing dead falls and such. Thanks to all for replying

Tweegs
03-11-2015, 10:25 AM
Set 200 CV’s over the weekend, didn’t break a single one.

I use a regular claw hammer but choke up on the handle, holding it near the head.

I like the heft of a bigger hammer, can feel it in the tool belt. Saves me from having to backtrack and find the wimpy little bugger I dropped at the last tree.