PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof power connection for submersible pump?

DaveB
03-10-2015, 01:24 PM
I have a 12v submersible pump that has a 12" lead on it and I want to be able to place it in my tanks and plug it in to start it up. I can do the connection, but how do I absolutely make sure that it is waterproof?

smokeyamber
03-10-2015, 01:28 PM
There is a liquid insulation that would would pretty good, you paint it on the wires and once it cures it is just like the normal wire covering.

sapman
03-10-2015, 01:42 PM
Heat shrinks are the typical item used for this. The wires are probably so small though, that you'd probably need the ones sold for automotive use. They usually have a crimp inside the shrink/insulation, so you use pliers that don't cut in. Then only moderate is needed. Alternatively you could electrical tape it real good.

psparr
03-10-2015, 01:46 PM
You don't need to make it waterproof. It will work fine exposed. If you can't make it watertight then sap will remain in he connection and corrode the wires. If it is exposed, it can dry out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveB
03-11-2015, 07:49 AM
You don't need to make it waterproof. It will work fine exposed. If you can't make it watertight then sap will remain in he connection and corrode the wires. If it is exposed, it can dry out.

Would the sap be conductive? I was thinking that it would cause the fuse to blow. The pump is a submersible one and where the connection is would be under the sap.

I'm going to try picking up some of the heat shrink material on my way home and see how that works. It looks cheap.

Hopefully I'll have some sap to try it out on!

markct
03-11-2015, 08:05 AM
Get the good heat shrink like they use for truck and trailer wiring and for well pump splicing. It has thicker walls and sealant that oozes out as it shrinks. The thin cheap heat shrink is just to insulate stereo wires etc not weatherproof them. I doubt much danger at 12v either way tho.

DaveB
03-11-2015, 08:55 AM
Get the good heat shrink like they use for truck and trailer wiring and for well pump splicing. It has thicker walls and sealant that oozes out as it shrinks. The thin cheap heat shrink is just to insulate stereo wires etc not weatherproof them. I doubt much danger at 12v either way tho.

Thanks Mark...I want to get this pump running before we get a flood of sap. I can feel it coming!

markct
03-12-2015, 05:58 AM
Its flowing finaly! Time to be ready indeed did first boil last night.