PDA

View Full Version : after taste in my syrup

Jonl
03-10-2015, 12:43 PM
Hi i am in southern NJ and just boiled down my 1st 30 gal in a food grade (304) stainless steel boiler that i made. when I finished the syrup it was very dark
but tastes good but it also has a after tastes that i don't like.(finished to 220 degrees) as for storage I had 11 gal in the refrigerator for about 5 days (it smelled fine) and the rest was right out of the trees. My 1st smaller batch was really light and tasted wonderful. any ideas what the after taste? i did have lots of foam when boiling.

BillinTennessee
03-10-2015, 12:47 PM
I am a newbie here. Last year I made a few pints and did not filter it. It had an unpleasant aftertaste. I filtered my syrup this year and it is delicious with no after taste.

Run Forest Run!
03-10-2015, 12:51 PM
Jonl, can you describe the aftertaste for us?

Jonl
03-10-2015, 12:59 PM
hard to describe a bit sour? not the sweet finnish
How often should i empty my buckets ? i am using two 5 gal water containers that three about 3 days to fill. should i empty them every day and put it into my refrigerator?

Jonl
03-10-2015, 01:00 PM
i did filter threw muslin that was washed in the washer

Jonl
03-10-2015, 01:07 PM
also my syrup is a bit cloudy

Run Forest Run!
03-10-2015, 01:09 PM
hard to describe a bit sour? not the sweet finnish
How often should i empty my buckets ? i am using two 5 gal water containers that three about 3 days to fill. should i empty them every day and put it into my refrigerator?

As long as the outside temps are similar to that of a fridge or freezer, that sap is just fine after three days. If it's warmer than that then consider indoor refrigeration.

As for the funny aftertaste, if you washed that muslin using laundry detergent that could be the problem. Sometimes even if you didn't use detergent there is enough residual soap inside a washing machine from the previous load to cause a problem. Since you are only making a little bit of syrup, how about you just pour your syrup into bottles and let the sediment sink to the bottom and just pour off the clear syrup after things settle. That is an easy solution for the time being. If you still have an aftertaste after doing that, then you know the problem is not with the muslin, but earlier in the process.

BillinTennessee
03-10-2015, 01:33 PM
My first runs I tried filtering through wool and then Cheese Cloth. Neither worked very well and left sugar sand in the syrup. It was still cloudy. I purchased a hobby kit from Sugarbush and it works great. I think it was $25.00. But you can buy just the filters for about $8.00. They work very well.

http://www.sugarbushsupplies.com/

Jonl
03-10-2015, 01:45 PM
hi Just filtered it a second time threw a real maple syrup filter and no aftertaste but i did waste a pint when i left the stove for 1 second and it boiled over UGH oh well live and learn. oh wait this happened to me a few years ago when i was making strawberry jam. whats the saying old dogs new tricks :)
thanks for all your help. its getting warm down here so i think i will empty everyday today its 58 tomorrow its going to be 60

Run Forest Run!
03-10-2015, 02:10 PM
Problem solved. Great news. Enjoy your syrup experience.

ennismaple
03-10-2015, 03:57 PM
i did filter threw muslin that was washed in the washer

Another possibility is the filter picked up soap residue from the washing machine.

MarkL
03-10-2015, 04:20 PM
Can you describe the taste?

DrTimPerkins
03-10-2015, 06:30 PM
hard to describe a bit sour? .... How often should i empty my buckets ?

Most likely sour sap. Empty the buckets each day, especially if it is warm.

cheesegenie
03-28-2015, 10:49 AM
I wonder how long you can can keep an orlon bag filter before it gets funky. Had mine for a few years, never use soap but hot water only. What kind of soap or cleaner would work with no taste, seems to be brown at the bottom, Lye?

saphound
03-28-2015, 12:44 PM
hi Just filtered it a second time threw a real maple syrup filter and no aftertaste but i did waste a pint when i left the stove for 1 second and it boiled over UGH oh well live and learn. oh wait this happened to me a few years ago when i was making strawberry jam. whats the saying old dogs new tricks :)
thanks for all your help. its getting warm down here so i think i will empty everyday today its 58 tomorrow its going to be 60
Wait a minute...you filtered the same syrup again? Or a new batch. Can you really filter out a taste that was caused by soap? Maybe it was niter you were tasting...if it was the same syrup you re-filtered.