PDA

View Full Version : Snow Fleas in the Sap!

djhcatony
03-10-2015, 12:42 PM
A little extra protein is all but don't want to let the family know what those little specs are that seem to be collecting in our buckets. Pilfered a fine mesh strainer from the kitchen to attempt an extrication of the little buggers. Don't seem to be a problem in my sacks or gravity pails. I tapped relatively close to the "base" of tree but we have 4 feet of snow pack so that is more dbh than base.:lol: Loving these warm days and cold nights; enjoying life to the fullest.
Dan

psparr
03-10-2015, 01:15 PM
I have one tree that's notorious for them. Next tree over about 10' none.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Galena
03-10-2015, 04:20 PM
There were about a billion of them all over the snow here, but none in the sap :-)

ren46
03-10-2015, 07:35 PM
Snow Fleas are a type of Springtail (see attached link) and my woods are loaded with them also. Sometimes they do get in my buckets but are easily filtered out with a sap filter.

Ren

http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/insects/find/springtails/

MustardSeedMum
03-10-2015, 07:38 PM
They seem to be super abundant this year...first year I noticed them. I probably had them in the past but never thought much of it, but this year...gosh
it's raining fleas and fleas. Looks like I'll be filtering the sap before it goes into the pan.

handtapper
03-10-2015, 07:41 PM
They are very bad very early this year. Usually I dont see them until closer to the end of the season in any big numbers

maplestudent
03-11-2015, 08:06 AM
I've been seeing them since Saturday. I'm just glad they're not ticks!

rockwoodfarm
03-17-2015, 06:22 AM
It must be their high cycle this year. Never seen them this abundant. Different areas in forest appear to be different amounts and they like the plastic white pails on the ground more than the aluminum pails on the trees.

Snow fleas are a species of dark blue springtail, Hypogastrura nivicola. They are often seen jumping about on the surface of snow on a warm winter day.[where?][1]

Researchers at Queen's University (Canada) have sequenced and synthesised the anti-freeze-like protein that allows snow fleas to operate in sub-zero environments,[2] and found it to be glycine-rich, and unlike any previously known protein. There are hopes that similar proteins may be useful for storing transplant organs and for producing better ice cream.[3] By preventing the formation of ice crystals in tissues, organs could be stored at lower temperatures, increasing the time of their viability outside a living body. Unlike proteins with similar functions in other species, the protein found in snow fleas breaks down easily at higher temperatures.[4]

djhcatony
03-18-2015, 08:33 AM
After my original posting, have been double filtering sap using flat syrup pre-filters and it keeps the snow fleas at bay pretty well. I filter into gathering tank and once again prior to evaporator. They are interesting little creatures for sure!
Dan

optionguru
03-18-2015, 08:35 AM
We've had such a slow start I've gotten to the point if I walk up to a bucket and don't see any around I'm bummed...Empty buckets.