PDA

View Full Version : What size taps do I have?

Stewart McCallister
03-10-2015, 10:04 AM
I bought my taps at a local feed store and I don't know what size they are 5/16 or 7/16. Where is that measurement usually taken on the tap? This is the style tap I purchased: 10974

On the tap it says Canada and the number 5. I am not sure what other information I could provide. The feed store wasn't much help.

The holes i drilled are too big and the sap is leaking out around the taps. I am hoping I have the smaller 5/16 so I can order the larger ones and save my tap holes.

Oddmott
03-10-2015, 10:08 AM
I bought my taps at a local feed store and I don't know what size they are 5/16 or 7/16. Where is that measurement usually taken on the tap? This is the style tap I purchased: 10974

On the tap it says Canada and the number 5. I am not sure what other information I could provide. The feed store wasn't much help.

The holes i drilled are too big and the sap is leaking out around the taps. I am hoping I have the smaller 5/16 so I can order the larger ones and save my tap holes.

I'm fairly certain you've got the 5/16 size spiles.

What size was the bit you drilled with? That'll tell you what the issue is right away.

Stewart McCallister
03-10-2015, 10:23 AM
I can't find the one I used. I started with a 5/16 bit but it didn't seem like the spile was going in far enough. I should have stopped there and asked the question then. I just tested the spile with the 5/16 bit and it only goes into the wood about 3/4".

This is my first year with tubing. I appreciate the help.

jmayerl
03-10-2015, 10:26 AM
they shouldnt even go in that far. those are 5/16 taps and they only get "tapped" lightly in until they are seated (will sound diffferent)

maple flats
03-10-2015, 11:01 AM
They are 5/16 taps. Do not drill another hole. unless you don't have the formula under max. The formula, 10"=1 tap, 18"=2 taps, 25"=3, never more than 3. The measurements are diameter, not circumference. For best results, only use a very sharp bit made for maple, not one out of your tool box. They cost more but are really worth the expense. Then drill straight in and out, do not wobble the bit. Then tap gently the spile in, using a light hammer (I prefer using the side of a pair of lineman's pliers). When the sound changes, it is in. It will likely be less than 3/4" in. setting it in too far splits the bark and ruins the hole, making it leak. When done tapping, sanitize the bit and store it away for next year.

Stewart McCallister
03-10-2015, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the info. The 3/4" measurement was just me pushing the spile into a spare block of wood. I think its fair to say that I've messed up the hole for this size spile. The spiles go all the way into the tree. Any thoughts on how I can still use these holes? Should I just try a bigger spile?

buckeye gold
03-10-2015, 12:09 PM
You really need to know what size hole you drilled before throwing money at. If your hole is 7/16 or smaller than get 7/16th spiles, but if you drilled a bigger than 7/16" hole then you could actually make an emergency tap out of other material sauch as CPV pipe or plastic tubing. Sometimes it takes mistakes to actually get us on the learning tree, but you've come to the right place. You will find a wealth of information here and kind people willing to help.

Stewart McCallister
03-10-2015, 12:56 PM
The hole is 3/8. I was able to find 7/16 spiles and the holes are a smidge too small. I want to make sure I get the right drill bit. Am I looking for a 7/16 bit or a different size.

Ed R
03-10-2015, 01:18 PM
7/16 bit, go easy reaming out the holes. What style spiles did you get? If its a straight tapered rolled metal spile they would work well in a 3/8 hole, thats actually the combo I use. Others 7/16 spile types will not work.

Oddmott
03-10-2015, 01:20 PM
The hole is 3/8. I was able to find 7/16 spiles and the holes are a smidge too small. I want to make sure I get the right drill bit. Am I looking for a 7/16 bit or a different size.

To be honest, when starting out it's best to get your hands on a few different sizes & styles of spiles, and a few different drill bits and practice on a big wood block.

I have 2 different kinds of 5/16 "health" spiles.
10984 and 10985

And need to use a 5/16 bit for the blue bucket hanging spiles, but use a 3/8 bit for the black piping spiles.

I've found similar variances in some of the different 7/16 metal & plastic spiles as well.

Also, as others have said make sure you're using only the highest quality drill bits. Black oxide bits bend and warp far too easily. If you get the slightest wobble when tapping 5/16 spiles, the hole can get too big for them to sit properly, causing leaks at best.

Black Oxide = bad!

Stewart McCallister
03-10-2015, 07:24 PM
Thank you everyone for the help. I went and picked out some new drill bits a 5/16 and 7/16. Probably not the ones I am supposed to use but better than what I had. Interestingly enough the drill bits for sale next to the maple supplies are the black oxide bits. I took the 7/16 bits and spiles and gently enlarged the hole and they fit perfectly. I gave them a gentle tap with the butt of the drill and i could definitely hear the sound change as mentioned. I tapped three more trees with the 5/16 spiles and bit and again much better results. I appreciate the help. Next year I will practice on a block of wood before I start putting holes in my trees. 10 trees this year with 13 taps.