PDA

View Full Version : Stack Clearance

PeddlerLakeSapper
03-10-2015, 09:18 AM
I only have about 1" of clearance where my stack goes through my roof opening frame. If I wrap my stack with arch blanket will this clearance be OK.

maple flats
03-10-2015, 09:30 AM
It should be at least 2" even with arch blanket, 3' without the insulation, according to fire codes in NYS, Mi is likely the same. Looking at your sketch, you should be able to cut the closest part of each header, top and bottom headers, to remove 1", cutting parallel to the stack surface. Use a sawzall, then put in the 1" insulation.

PeddlerLakeSapper
03-10-2015, 09:41 AM
OK great. That's what I thought I would do, but didn't know if that would be enough. Don't really want to burn down my shack.

Thanks for the reply Dave.

Sugarmaker
03-10-2015, 11:00 AM
Dave,
Make the opening as big as possible. 8 to 10 inches would be better. Is this a single wall smoke stack? If so then you may need to insulate it very well. Or go get a 3 foot section of tripple wall and install that through the roof. We don't want to hear about a problem that could be serious! I had a small fire in that area of the roof. Was there and got it out. I added another air gap of stainless pipe around the stack. Plus insulation on the roof close to the stack area.
Regards,
Chris

PeddlerLakeSapper
03-10-2015, 11:34 AM
Will do Chris. I may take out top and bottom piece, insulate it, and re-frame it later with more clearance. I had to take a Tylenol PM last night before I went to bed because I knew I would be up all night thinking about it.

PeddlerLakeSapper
03-12-2015, 07:57 AM
I made the opening bigger, and put arch blanket on the 2x4 frame.

Would it have been better to wrap the pipe with the blanket instead?