PDA

View Full Version : vermiculite

davey
02-02-2007, 11:47 AM
I've read a few threads about laying vermiculite in the exhaust end of my arch under the flue pan as an insulator rather than the ceramic blanket. I guess I have a few questions that if anyone can answer it would be much appreciated. First is it the same vermiculite that is used for potted plants?
Is it ok to use in an oil fired arch and if so, do you pour it in maybe a couple of three inches thick or so?

Dave Y
02-02-2007, 12:06 PM
Vermiculite Is vermiculite. You can get it course or fine. I just went to Agway (farm supply store) and bought it in 25lbs bags. You can put in as deep as you want. With forced air you may want to put ceramic blanket over it or use the course. This will keep it from going up the stack It is relitivily inexpensevie,and only a fraction of the weight of brick.
It has great insulating properties. It will work for wood or oil, or even gas.
I have used it gor 3 years and really like It

davey
02-02-2007, 12:20 PM
thanks, I was thinking I'd have to cover it up to keep it from blowing away. I bought two rolls of the ceramic blanket and was thinking by using the vermiculite in the bed I could save a little bit of the blanket for other areas of the arch as I estimated 48 sqf and bought 50 but you know how that goes. The blanket is just so expensive and I haven't quite made my first million dollars from syrup yet.

Russell Lampron
02-02-2007, 02:52 PM
The vermiculite (crushed mica) that you would use in an evaporator is the same stuff that is used in potting soil. It is recommended because it won't hold moisture to rot out your arch like sand will. It can be used with oil, wood or gas fired evaporators. Covering it with ceramic blanket is a good idea too.

Russ

802maple
02-02-2007, 06:06 PM
another thing that you can do is spread about 3/4"s to a inch of dry mortar over it than sprinkle it with water just enough to dampen it and let it harden. It will stay there as long as you want it to that way also, but if you already have the blanket by all means use that.