PDA

View Full Version : Need a "How To" source

Oddmott
03-10-2015, 09:04 AM
Hey all,

Another year of setup and wading through 3+ feet of snow, up hill, both ways ;) and that's all well and fine for me, but my aging father is the one who does most of the weekday collecting.

We've talked about trying lines (gravity only) but know nothing about them and when syrup season hits we're so busy we never make it to any other bushes to see how they install or operate them.

Wondering if you all can point me to a handful of thorough resource videos that'll help explain the process and all the parts involved.

Thanks!

Locust Farms
03-10-2015, 06:01 PM
There are numerous videos on YOUTUBE . Do a search on "maple tubing systems".

Dwight

maple flats
03-10-2015, 07:16 PM
There are several on u tube but be careful, take each with a grain of salt. I see lots of errors on many u tube. Look to see if Steve Childs offers any tubing videos, or Glen Goodrich, or a fellow maple trader who has a few years under their belts. Compare 2 or better 3 or more then give it a try.
By the way, how old is your "aging father"?

psparr
03-10-2015, 07:33 PM
If you have the slope, look into 3/16 tubing. It is amazing. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/10/f43072511ace62be203d697aabaa4635.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oddmott
03-11-2015, 08:51 AM
There are numerous videos on YOUTUBE . Do a search on "maple tubing systems".

Dwight

I have, they're pretty much garbage (well, the one's i've found).

This one is the best so far... and it's not overly helpful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib6o_38Ga0Y

I would have thought for sure that any of the supply companies would have produced videos explaining the process and showcasing their particular equipment and hardware.

Oddmott
03-11-2015, 08:54 AM
There are several on u tube but be careful, take each with a grain of salt. I see lots of errors on many u tube. Look to see if Steve Childs offers any tubing videos, or Glen Goodrich, or a fellow maple trader who has a few years under their belts. Compare 2 or better 3 or more then give it a try.
By the way, how old is your "aging father"?

Thanks Flats, I'll search out those names and see if they have some content i can digest.

My father is almost 60, but he fought cancer in his early 50s and suffered severe neurological damage from the chemo treatments. His feet and hands give him a lot of trouble if he's been upright and active for a couple hours. Since his feet have kinda gone numb, he's got real difficulty trying to walk on snow/slush.

He's loving sugaring though, so i'm looking for any way to ease the workload for him that i can find.

bcarpenter
03-11-2015, 07:11 PM
If you do decide to do the tubing invest the $200 in a tubing tool. I fianlly bit the bullet and bought one, and it has been worth every penny! I have been re-stringing lines this season and the tool sure beats the thermos full of hot water.

BreezyHill
03-11-2015, 07:52 PM
Go to CDL maple procucts site. They have a few videos there.

Last season I sold a grandson(GS) supplies to put about 50 buckets onto gravity for his 80+ year old grandfather(GF) that used a JD bulldozer to go up the mountain and collect sap into a tote. Well GF had already put out some buckets and soon he wanted them down and I dug out some old spouts to pull the buckets and add them to the lines. Season went well.

This season they have a new evaporator and added more taps. GF is very happy and back on his feet after a spell that would have killed most men his age.

Remember we all need a reason to get up in the morning and make it thru a rough winter like this one. I cant think of a better reason than maple production!

I totally agree with the two handed tubing tool...I would not bother without one. I can cut in a drop in 20 seconds into a pre stretched lateral line.

Send me a pm if you want pics of how we do it. I will take pics tomorrow while tapping and email in the evening. I can even get video with the cell.

Ben

bushmoose
03-31-2015, 11:44 PM
A little late commenting on this thread, but take the advice given on the tubing tool. It makes life just so much easier! When looking at the numbers to get set up, be sure to budget this in.

Diesel Pro
04-01-2015, 08:48 AM
Every bush is unique. Having someone with experience come and check it out and give pointers is priceless. Not sure what sort of local resources you may have, but there has to be a local guru willing to stop by off season and help you plan. Don't get me wrong there are a lot of outgoing people here that are eager to help. It's just tough to see the layout over the internet.

I called a semi local supplier and asked about gravity tube layouts. They took my number and said that they have a "guy" that does site visits free of charge typically in the early post season. I'll see how this goes.