PDA

View Full Version : Not shaping up to be a good season

Fireman
03-10-2015, 08:56 AM
This is our 2nd year of going to tubing. Each year we are adding more and more. Yesterday, we were finishing up another leg going into a new tank. Sunday we finished the first leg with about 80 taps on it. Maybe 25 gallon in the tank yesterday and very little if any coming out. I rechecked my slope, no problems. Then I checked the overnight low, which was only 30 degrees. Thinking that may be the culprit. Looking at the long term (always subject to change), but it is not showing much for getting well below freezing at night. I see some comments on other threads that the trees may be still froze, but I don't think that is the case. 50 today, after an overnight low of 34. We are suspending any more tapping until it looks like we could start getting flows again. Might be a real let down of a season.

BreezyHill
03-10-2015, 09:13 AM
Last season on April 23 I still had ice on in the crotch of a huge maple in the bush. Days were 65-73 and we had to quit cause the sap was nasty in the collection tank. The big trees were still running alittle and the smalls were dry.

We had 14 yesterday am, 19 this am, and Sunday am was 2 below.

Last season was the same fridgid temps of sub zero right up til the weather broke. A week later things started flowing but we had wind and that is a killer for our main bush. This season we are adding more ladders and tapping a section that is in a valley that is protected from the wind .

I would keep expanding because more taps on a short season is better than fewer. I am looking at maybe 4 weeks right now and less if the season warms up like a normal or average season does. The snow cover will help freeze the bush at night until it is gone. Good water supply for the trees during the season thou.

Good Luck!

Ben