PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Sap in tank

mapleman3
02-25-2004, 10:48 AM
Well I havn't collected much sap yet, and what I have put in the stainless tank.....is frozen, how the heck will I boil this weekend with that mush frozen sap :? hopefully as I add more in the next few days as it warms up a bit.. it will be enough to help thaw so I can pump up to my feed tank.... jeeze this is all a game isn't it

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-25-2004, 12:46 PM
Jim,

Frozen sap in the tank is good because it will keep the fresh sap cool and help it to stay fresh much longer. I know you are busting at the seems to boil, but hopefully it will happen this weekend.

It's almost time............. :D :D :D

If you get to desperate, you can drive down here and get a couple of barrels for free! :D :D :D

mapleman3
02-25-2004, 01:42 PM
If I drive down there I'm taking 700 gals, that what my 2 tanks will hold if put on my trailer and @ appx 8.33lbs/gal of sap thats 5800lbs.... wooo thats going to be a long ride!!!!

I know that the ice will keep the sap, I have no problem with that, I just don't want to have to thaw all the ice to have something to boil, can't pump ice up to the feed tank!!!

what do guys do when their tanks in the woods are frozen at the valve...??? not pump?

imclean
02-25-2004, 05:10 PM
most of the time it will freeze at the top as it is mostly water. If you test the liquid on the bottom you will find a high level of sugar. The old timers would take the ice off the tank and throw it away as it is 98% water. Also like I said the water is lighter than the sugar so once it thaws out a little the ice will float.

DougM
02-26-2004, 09:15 AM
We use a stock tank heater when necessary to thaw things out. It floats on the top and keeps the sap enough above freezing for it to run. Since we have a plastic tank we rigged it so it can't hit the sides or bottom. We have had to heat up the pipe out of the valve a few times to thaw the valve.