PDA

View Full Version : Confused

bluefinn
03-09-2015, 10:51 PM
I'm in northeast Ohio & tapped the few maples in my yard. 5th year using 7/16 stainless taps. I tapped Friday morning & the temps have been great for 3 days but I have nothing dripping. Did I do something wrong? Never had a problem before. I would think they would be running good.

maplwrks
03-10-2015, 04:00 AM
You gotta thaw out dude! Be patient---It'll come soon!

bowhunter
03-10-2015, 05:13 AM
I'm down near Columbus and had the same problem for the last two days. I only averaged about a quart per tree per day...way below a good run. I agree with bluefinn, but I think because of the time of the year we may only get one decent run here in central Ohio. The long range forecast looks to be pretty warm overall.

Ausable
03-10-2015, 07:12 AM
Patience!!!!! Mother Nature make the Rules in this Game. She is a Contrary Old Gal and She loves messing with Humans and all their Rules, Plans and Schemes. Do the best You can and the Sap will flow when Old Ma Nature smiles...... Hey! Have Fun and a good year making maple.

Sugarmaker
03-10-2015, 07:23 AM
Everyone think the weather is right because the temp gets to 40. Lot of factors to get a run or not. I have seen about everything in making syrup for 50 years. I have seen days where I thought for sure it should run and nothing and other days when it should not run and it does.
Your doing the right things tap them and then check them.
Regards,
Chris

BreezyHill
03-10-2015, 08:27 AM
It takes a while for the tree to thaw...don't for get insulation R value is based on wood. 1" of would is 1 R value. When the low is back in the teens at night it is hard to warm that tree up much and get things going.

Enjoy the restbit cause when she finally does come its a goin ta flow.

The snow blanket on the ground will help to bring the temps down at night and keep things going well for a while. This could be a really good season for most.

Ben

maple flats
03-10-2015, 09:36 AM
Besides that the ground froze deep this year. Even with what seems like good temps above ground, the roots can't take up ice. The ground needs to start to thaw. Your first GOOD run will come when each tree gets a bare ring around it, from the sun warming the area by direct AND reflected sun off the tree. You will start some before that happens but the good runs start then.