PDA

View Full Version : Tapping Franklin County 2015

MarkL
03-09-2015, 08:26 PM
I set out my taps a week ago last Saturday, thinking we'd get some kind of run here in the Valley before this past weekend. That didn't happen and today was a warm day but little in the way of sap so far...wondering if I'm even going to have enough to boil this weekend.

Big Daddy
03-10-2015, 06:40 PM
We did the same at our sights and checked them today. Finally the sap is running, not hard but moving. Weather looks good for the next few days. Lots of snow and I guess the trees are frozen and won't break loose till the temps really get up there and stay.

Ed K
03-16-2015, 07:54 AM
Finished tapping last thur. Boiled yesterday.

WESTMAPLES
03-16-2015, 08:06 AM
firing up the evap today got 600 plus gals to process finally enough to sweeten the pans hopefully bring in a few hundred more today hope things get moving for everyone else too

Ed K
04-07-2015, 08:27 AM
I think the season is done here, but it was an excellent yr.

saphead
04-13-2015, 08:34 PM
Finished up today where I work in Colrain. Ran out of wood.May have run out of drums,still filtering when I left.85 degrees in the sugarhouse with everything opened up,drank copious amount of water.Sap was still running but it was time to pull the plug.
Craig

log cabin luke
04-21-2015, 07:49 PM
I have been tapping in Colrain now for 3 seasons. best year yet . Sold lots of sap and made lots of syrup. Looks like I was at about .33 per gallons per tap. I shut the vac off with still a few runs left and the 3/16 is probably still flowing on the ground. It would not stop for anything but a freeze up all season. Alot of work to do in the off season. A new drive way , canning room, Steam away, feed tank,concrete floor, I am sure I am forgetting something. looking forward to handling all my own sap and not having to sell 11,000 gallons, but I am glad there was a few people in the area that could take what I couldn't handle.

log cabin luke
04-26-2015, 07:39 PM
600 taps on 3/16 tubing still running hard as of this morning until I pulled them. I bet they would have run 500 gallons today had there been a tank to put it in. I didn't test the sugar but it must have been close to straight water I would think. On 4/12 it was 1%.