PDA

View Full Version : Signs of a tear in a guzzler diaphram

Starting Small
03-09-2015, 05:44 PM
What are the signs of a tear or hole being in a diaphragm? We have very low vacuum from the pump, so little that the laterals and drops about 10 feet away from the pump are filled with sap and it is not clearing the lines. The sap just keeps pulsating back and forth. The thing is, is that this is a brand new guzzler, used for the first time yesterday so the diaphragm should not be torn unless it was torn from the factory. Does this sound like a common problem or do you think it is a possible that it is torn? Thank you so much, we appreciate all help!
-Dave

CampHamp
03-09-2015, 06:05 PM
The only answer I know of is to first make sure your system is tight with no leaks (when sap is flowing, make sure that you do not see racing bubbles going through any of your lines) and then read your pressure gauge for vacuum. If the trees aren't flowing well, then the sap can column in the laterals even with good vacuum pressure (it means that the taps above those lines are tight - a good thing!). If the Guzzler behaves like smaller diaphragm pumps, then it will offer better vacuum once it is wet with sap.

DrTimPerkins
03-09-2015, 07:23 PM
What are the signs of a tear or hole being in a diaphragm?

Dead-head the pump and see what you're getting for vacuum. Easiest to do this if you have a valve immediately after the pump. If you don't have vacuum, you've probably got a tear. If you have good vacuum, you're got leaks (the more likely result).

Starting Small
03-09-2015, 07:32 PM
Dead-head the pump and see what you're getting for vacuum. Easiest to do this if you have a valve immediately after the pump. If you don't have vacuum, you've probably got a tear. If you have good vacuum, you're got leaks (the more likely result).

That's a great idea, I will get on this tomorrow. When looking for leaks, what am I looking for? Or an I just listening for noise? Also, how tight should the saddles be? We tightened the about half way through. Should we go more? Thanks again,
-Dave