PDA

View Full Version : Capturing and holding sap

JEHardy01-Ohio
03-09-2015, 01:47 PM
This is my third year of collecting and I am slowly ramping up my volume. The challenge I have is that my land is 2.5 hours away so, I am only able to empty my buckets of sap once per week. Right now I am collecting in 5 gallon buckets with lids but I am looking for alternatives. I would like to have some larger to collect in but not so large that I can't handle them with the ATV. I have been looking for 10-20 gallon barrels at an affordable price but haven't had any luck. Anyone have ideas?

I did put two 32 gallon trash cans in place this year with the thought that I can dip out of them with 5 gallon buckets and carry home that way. There is no one local to check and empty them for me.

DrTimPerkins
03-09-2015, 03:12 PM
This is my third year of collecting and I am slowly ramping up my volume. The challenge I have is that my land is 2.5 hours away so, I am only able to empty my buckets of sap once per week.

1. This might work (checking buckets only once each week) early in the season when it is still cold, but later in the season you will find that the sap has likely spoiled.

2. A standard trash barrel is not a suitable storage container for sap. They are typically made with regrind material, and can (most likely will) impart off-flavors and nasty chemicals into the sap, which you will then concentrate into the syrup. I'd strongly suggest you rethink the use of trash cans.

Cedar Eater
03-09-2015, 05:46 PM
When you say affordable, you really make it difficult. One of these (http://www.bayteccontainers.com/15galpolbar.html) per tree may seem pricey, but if you can put a second tap from uphill into it, they don't seem so bad. They are very durable and reusable forever. But if you know any dairy farmers, you might be able to get these (used once) from them. They are used for the chemicals that are used to clean and sterilize dairy equipment. It won't be immediately obvious whether the barrels are safe, but if you google the MSDS (material safety data sheet) for the contents of the barrels, some of them are not a problem, because they rinse out very well from HDPE and are not dangerous when diluted and don't leave a nasty smell. Stay away from the ones that contain iodine, but those are usually 55 gal.

wkies
03-09-2015, 07:03 PM
Try USA Plastics. They have a website and catalog. A variety of options that are food grade. Not cheap but very durable and list of sizes to choose from.

I have a few different sizes for some short lines (less than 15 taps).

Andy_C
03-10-2015, 09:36 AM
This is a learning process...j started sugaring about 4/5 years ago, and my first year I didn't know much about it. I did the same thing as you, putting a brand new trash can in the snow to store syrup until I could boil. The syrup spoiled very quickly, and I ended up throwing the majority of my sap away. Your much better off getting food grade, 55 gallon drums. It lasts much longer and doesn't affect the quality of sap, like Dr. Tim stated. Bascoms maple supply in NH sells used ones for around $30, so not much more expensive than a new trash barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JEHardy01-Ohio
03-10-2015, 11:06 AM
Thanks Tim...I have used food grade buckets the last few years and my sap seems to not spoil from week to week so I have had good luck there. Maybe just a run of good weather. I try to set my buckets on the north side of my trees so they get more shade. I hadn't thought about the trash cans imparting any tastes. Hope not but will swap them for 5 gallon buckets this weekend when I return.

JEHardy01-Ohio
03-10-2015, 11:07 AM
Thanks Andy....hoping it doesn't spoil this week and that I don't get any nasty taste as Dr Tim states. Going to swap them this weekend for food grade plastic buckets.

JEHardy01-Ohio
03-10-2015, 11:08 AM
Thanks Cedar....the "affordable" does make it tough. I may just bite the bullet and buy some larger food grade barrels. I have seen some in the 20-30 gallon range that would work...

BillinTennessee
03-10-2015, 12:38 PM
Lowes sell a 32 Gallon food grade plastic container. I think it's called "Brute" By Rubbermaid. Look on the bottom it should say FG. I use one to hold sap. I have 5 gallon food grade buckets on the trees. I have not had any flavor issues. But the sap is only in the larger container for a few days at most.

Cedar Eater
03-10-2015, 01:31 PM
Thanks Cedar....the "affordable" does make it tough. I may just bite the bullet and buy some larger food grade barrels. I have seen some in the 20-30 gallon range that would work...

Regarding the barrels from dairy farms, Zinicin is the one that contains only highly concentrated bleach. Rinse those a few times and when the bleach smell is gone, they are good to go for drinking water, so I would assume good to go for sap. The 15 gallon barrels are a really convenient size. Fill them to the 12 gallon mark and they are just barely within my ability to lift them onto an ATV without ramps or some other form of assistance. That's around 100 lbs.

Joe Meyer
03-10-2015, 02:24 PM
I don't know where in Ohio you are, but if you are anywhere near Lima give this guy a try. I'm going to be getting some from him. www.ohiobarrel.com

Swagner
03-12-2015, 07:58 AM
Not really sure about around your area. But out in my area you can always find people on cl selling food grade containers of various sizes and prices this time of year. Just check carefully for odors and food grade stamp.

JEHardy01-Ohio
03-12-2015, 02:58 PM
Found a guy on Craig's list today that is selling food grade 15 gallon barrels. Waiting on them to be delivered now. Thanks!