PDA

View Full Version : Deep snow and its potential impact on bulk pricing?

adironmaple
03-09-2015, 05:29 AM
Reading posts on MT the common denominator seems to be deep snow and extremely difficult going in the woods either on foot or machine. We have had our own struggles for sure. Yesterday while working in our sons woods I started to wonder how many folks will just say to heck with it and just not tap. Im sure some that dont rely on sugaring for income might choose to not tap. I can also see some producers waiting for better conditions to tap the really rugged areas or never getting to it. Leak checking will also be tough.
My point is any of these outcomes leave sap not collected and turned into syrup. Lets say 5-10% not tapped, some loss to more leaks, how much to you all think this will effect bulk prices?

y

Russell Lampron
03-09-2015, 05:38 AM
The amount of syrup produced in Quebec will be the deciding factor. If they have a bad year we might see an increase in prices but that is up to the federation. Quebec is the worlds largest producer of maple syrup and what happens in the states has little effect on pricing. Quebec also deals with snow and cold every season and there are alot of large scale producers that have been in the woods since January tapping trees.

Walling's Maple Syrup
03-09-2015, 06:46 AM
In addition to the syrup produced in Canada this season, the value of the Canadian dollar has a major impact on the price we get for bulk syrup in the states. I personally don't think the weather we had this winter will be much of a deciding factor on bulk prices.
Neil

GeneralStark
03-09-2015, 06:48 AM
I don't think this year's snowpack will have any impact on bulk prices. This really isn't anything unusual for most of the maple belt and as Russ said it is really Quebec that sets the price and they are very used to dealing with deep snow. Sure there may be some folks that don't tap, but it will be a drop in the bucket likely. When has sugaring been easy?

DaveB
03-09-2015, 07:52 AM
The weather pattern looks to be conducive to sap production so even if some producers can't get out early and tap, they will eventually be able to and still have good weather. Like others have said, Quebec will set the price and most of their syrup is produced in the eastern townships and they regularly have 3-4' of snow on the ground and that's what they have now so I don't think that will be a large factor. In fact, the weather pattern might compensate for the weak cdn dollar and things just stay about the same.

Michael Greer
03-09-2015, 11:31 AM
Tapping today on snowshoes, which is enough of a workout to keep me a bit too warm. I believe it will run here tomorrow, and carrying buckets will be another kind of workout, but I've had enough of hiding indoors.

DrTimPerkins
03-09-2015, 03:24 PM
I doubt that the deep snow will impact bulk prices to any substantial degree, but I know it sure impacts my old knees and hips.