PDA

View Full Version : Springtech RO Soap Quantity and Netralization

GeneralStark
03-08-2015, 09:48 PM
The manual for my Springtech Elite 500 calls for 4 oz. of Sani Membrane soap per wash. I assume this is by weight but would like to clarify that. I would prefer to measure the soap by volume, so does anyone off hand know how much?

Also, what are others using to neutralize this soap prior to dumping the wash water? The UVM extension guidelines suggest using baking soda at an 8:1 ratio for this soap but that is a pretty large quantity of baking soda. Any other ideas?

wiam
03-09-2015, 06:58 AM
I picked up a 50 lb bag of sodium bicarb at a feed store last week. Way cheaper than little boxes.

GeneralStark
03-09-2015, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the tip Wiam. Does the baking soda dissolve when neutralizing a base like sani membrane ro will I end up with a bunch of slime in the wash tank?

I just spoke to a friend with a springtech and he uses 4 oz. by volume of soap and that's what is recommended so way easier than having to figure out weight to volume.

wiam
03-09-2015, 03:37 PM
I must admit that before this year I have not nuetralized. We can learn together. Bag was about $13.

GeneralStark
03-10-2015, 06:55 AM
Dilution is the solution to pollution. :)

wiam
03-10-2015, 07:55 PM
Dilution is the solution to pollution. :)
10 gallons of pH 9 followed by 300 gallons of permeate seems good but I was thinking I should do the "right" thing.

TunbridgeDave
03-20-2015, 07:41 AM
I was kinda wondering how much soap people use as well. I have 4 - 4x40's and use 2 tablespoons of the sani-membrane. The container says 1/2 cup per 8x40 or 8x60 membrane. I test the wash solution with ph strips. With 10 gal of wash water 1 tablespoon brings the ph up to 12 or so. The second tablespoon doesn't seem to make it any higher, maybe 13 if the membranes are clean like at the beginning of the season. At the end of the wash cycle, the ph is still the same. Actually I have the same observation with the acid wash. I put a half cup of leader acid in and the ph was at 4. I dumped the whole container in and it never went any lower.

sapman
03-21-2015, 07:54 PM
I would recommend checking the ph, instead of just using a half cup, like I used to do. I was able to get by with way less. With two membranes now, I used just over half cup last time, and the ph strip said 13! Leader said that's not really possible, but also said ideal for XLE's is 11, and best not to go over for long.