PDA

View Full Version : A spring without freeze/thaw--what would trees do?

maple marc
03-08-2015, 09:37 PM
We're finally getting a warm-up here in Ohio, out of the depths of sub-zero temperatures. But now there is no freezing night in sight! We may get one big run this week--trees still have not "warmed-up yet"--but then what?

Here's a theoretical question--maybe for Dr. Tim: What if there were no freeze/thaw cycle in the spring? What if the temperatures simply went from below freezing, then never went back below freezing? How would the maple trees react? Haven't we been taught that the trees require the freeze/thaw cycle to move sap to the buds? How would the trees respond--to say nothing of the sugar makers--if this doesn't happen?

Just wondering!

Marc

markcasper
03-08-2015, 10:28 PM
What if there were no freeze/thaw cycle in the spring? What if the temperatures simply went from below freezing, then never went back below freezing? How would the maple trees react? Haven't we been taught that the trees require the freeze/thaw cycle to move sap to the buds? How would the trees respond--to say nothing of the sugar makers--if this doesn't happen? [QUOTE=maple marc;270916]
It probably means it will be a crappy year. The trees don't care if it freezes or not. One week of above freezing nights doesn't concern me too much at this point, but if it continues and highs are in the 60's and 70's, then we better not quit our jobs in town. What is really strange is not a storm in sight, every day here for the next 10 days is forecast for sunshine. Three years ago in 2012 this happened, except it went to 80 degrees and from tapping day to last gather it was 10 days only.

jmayerl
03-08-2015, 10:34 PM
Yup, could be similar to 2012. We had 9 days from 1st drop to dry holes. There were two runs that lasted 2 days or so. One run was the 1st warm up and 2nd run was when the frost came out

DrTimPerkins
03-09-2015, 08:01 AM
Haven't we been taught that the trees require the freeze/thaw cycle to move sap to the buds? How would the trees respond--to say nothing of the sugar makers--if this doesn't happen?

The freeze-thaw cycle promotes the development of stem pressure (to dissolve emboli -- air bubbles in the wood) and promotes the conversion of starch into sugar. It really only takes one good cycle. The tree doesn't really need any more than that. Water moving to the buds will occur without freeze-thaw once the buds break anyhow.

BillinTennessee
03-10-2015, 12:02 PM
Good thread but now I am really confused.
This is really only my first year tapping trees. I did it last year on one tree just to try it but the trees were already budded and breaking bud. The syrup was not great.
This year I tapped 14 trees.
My season started in early January. We were below freezing for a few weeks then we started getting the nightly freeze/thaw cycle. The trees produced sap for a few days then it warmed up into the 50's and 60's and the sap stopped flowing.
I figured I was done then it got cold again and when it warmed the sap started flowing again.
It is now March 10th and I have done this 5 times.
Jan 15, Jan 27, Feb 4, Then nothing until March 2 and march 8.
After Feb 4th I removed some of the taps from the smaller trees but left some in the larger trees just in case it got cold again. I thought I was done.
After the warm spell It did get cold again. Stayed cold until March 7th.
I collected 60 Gallons March 8th. A couple of the trees were not producing sap.
I thought it was too warm for the sap flow to continue so I pulled all the taps.
Today is March 10th. I went and checked some of the trees and they are still flowing sap from the holes.
Did I quit too soon?
I am satisfied with the 6 gallons of syrup I made. I really did not expect that much. But I could make more and provide some for friends. Might even sell a few gallons.

So, the question is now should I have continued collecting sap. We are in 50 and 60 degree days now. How long will the sap continue to flow. The trees have not started budding yet so the sap would be good.

billyinvt
03-10-2015, 01:09 PM
Collect til the trees bud. That's what the old timers told me.

maple marc
03-10-2015, 08:18 PM
Bill, congrats on your first season and success. 6 gallons on 14 taps is very good, especially on buckets. Imagine if you had left the taps in until budding. Next year.

BillinTennessee
03-14-2015, 10:47 AM
My thoughts exactly Marc. Next year.
Being in Tennessee I think the weather is going to be a big factor.
I do have a few more trees I could tap.
I only tapped the Black Maples this year but I have some Red Maple too. I think I will tap them next year as well.
I will also put in more taps on the bigger trees. I have a few that are 30 inch diameter.
I believe I can do 30 taps with the trees I have.
I will have to upgrade my setup though.

The other big thing I learned is the sugar content increases as the weather warms. I was getting about 65 to 1 early on, the last run was 48 to 1. I wonder what the content would have been if I had made another batch.