PDA

View Full Version : Arch Rebuild: Finished at just the right time.

Tidajo
03-08-2015, 06:39 PM
Background: I planned on building a 275 gallon oil tank evaporator using steam pans and twenty taps.
Instead, I found an old 2X6 Leader with English tin pans on craigslist that needed total rebuild, but the price was nice and the pans weren't too bad.
I got a lot of great advice on this site, and I must have looked at a thousand posts over the last month absorbing information.

Unfortunately, the north east cold snap hit the same time I picked this up. I do not have heated indoor workspace. I don't mind working outside when the temps are in the twenties, but it's been brutal. Also factor in I only have weekends to work on it, and it has snowed every Sunday since the end of January. I ended up doing all this work in a 10 X12 shed, so I could use the kerosene heater.

I totally understand the risks with lead solder. I read a lot here, as well as gov't web sites and manuals. I had difficulty trying to get these cleaned on my own. Weather, arthritis, and time all came into play. Good or bad, I had them soda blasted. That is similar to sand blasting but with baking soda. Much less harsh. And power washed. My plan for the pans: A few water boils with baking soda to help clean it out some. Boil the first 30-50 gallons of sap to freshen the pans, and dump the contents. I will then make syrup. The very first batch will sent away for testing. I will post the results here, because the one problem I had researching was that people would talk about the solder risks, but no anecdotal info could be found. Future lurkers on this site could benefit..
If the lead is problem, I toss the pans. If not, now we all know.

I used galvanized for the arch. The old design had two layers, I just went with one, because I was insulating. Originally tried to use rivets, but they wouldn't hold. ended up redoing them with screws.
I tried to use the old firebrick, but most were frozen in ice to the ground, and I couldn't get the rest to fit. I guess my redesign with insulation changed the inside measurements. Gave it a quick coat of high temp black paint.
I picked up some half brick, and finished it off. I do not have a wet saw, and using a grinding wheel became expensive. Only getting 4 cuts to a $4 wheel. I got the firebox done and mortared with refractory cement, but the ramp to the flue just had the bricks laid in. Not pretty, but functional.

Made my own smoke stack base using leftover galvanized and a heating duct box. I insulated the underside top of the base, but unsure if this will hold up to the weight of the 12' of pipe on top.

I tinned up a number of small leaks (and one 1/4 inch hole), replaced the drawoff valve with a boiler drain. I picked up an IBC tote and set it up as a head tank. It had a buttress fitting discharge, and they are impossible to find. It was recommended here to buy from global international, but shipping time is two to three weeks. I improvised something different, by cutting a hole in the discharge cap (screwing it on), covering with a rain gutter to drain adapter, to a 3" to 2" PVC rubber adapter, to schedule 40 to copper at the pan.

Finally finished up the setup today, as we finally are above the frigid level, and no snow in the foreseeable forecast. I put water in the pans, wood in the fire box, and lit it up. Very happy to see that simmer start in about 5 minutes. In 15 the middle two rows in the flue pan were boiling away.

I've picked up enough bacon bottles to cover 30 gallons, an 8 quart Orlon for the draw off, and a 3 quart for the finish in the house. I have my temporary grading kit, hydrometer, digital thermometer, making the test cup, and a line of friends that say they want syrup. Hope they meant it!

What a project, what an expense, and I still don't know if I will enjoy this hobby. But something has me thinking bigger and I haven't even started...

42 taps in, 15 more and I'm ready.1091410915109161091710923

Tidajo
03-08-2015, 06:42 PM

sweetmoomoo
03-08-2015, 06:53 PM
came out real nice, good luck this season.

Tidajo
03-08-2015, 07:03 PM
Missed two:

10928 ...... 10929

TerryEspo
03-08-2015, 07:44 PM
Looks real good, nice job.

Terry