PDA

View Full Version : Snowshoes

PACMAN
03-08-2015, 03:59 PM
I just got off the phone with Main guide shoes and I'm going to order a pair of there Alaskan shoes. They are 12 by 60 and they told me I would have them by the weekend. I've tried the tubbs 36 inch and I am sick of sinking over my knees in snow. I have a old pair of 4 and a half footers,but the webbing is all rotted. They were my granddads and I think I will just hang them up in the sugar house for decoration. Check them out on their web page.

markct
03-08-2015, 04:48 PM
i gota look into that. My Redfeather 36 in were a big improvement over 30 in ones but those should realy help. With the 36 in still sink like 8 in but much less after the rain and warm days helped compact it a bit

Atgreene
03-08-2015, 06:44 PM
I use Boutin snowshoes made in VT, Williston iirc. http://www.boutinsnowshoes.com/
My mother and sister work for ll bean, so we have all kinds of the tubbs, beans/alum/plastic. I prefer the modified bearpaws from boutins. Bean 14 years on this pair, same bindings, several coats of varnish. I wore my fathers tubbs yesterday, **** plastic clips froze, pita trying to get them off.

TheMapleMoose
03-09-2015, 05:34 AM
I've got a pair of Maine Guide's Rabbit Hunters. I think they are 12x48. They are a huge improvement over my 36" tubs....which are really made for flatlanders in my opinion

Cabin
03-09-2015, 11:00 AM
I got a few military surplus form Sportsman's guide. A few years back. Very rarely do I sink in more than 4 inches.

Michael Greer
03-09-2015, 11:35 AM
A very long shoe will get you there, but it's hard to do anything with that much on your feet. Perhaps the first day or two until you establish a trail, and then switch to a shorter shoe.

antelope76
03-09-2015, 01:49 PM
I have a pair of Faber 10x56 Alaksans and a pair of Faber 14x48 Hurons. The 14x48 are good trail breakers and good for the woods. I use the 10x56 for open area's and after a trail has been established.

Pauly V
03-09-2015, 06:29 PM
56 inch snow shoes?? i have never worn snow shoes before..I thought they were like 2 feet long. I'd love to see a video of you walking in 5 foot shoes..

Atgreene
03-09-2015, 07:32 PM
My shoes, 10x44. And some steep going, more of a slide than a snowshoe. Does everyone else's truck look like this during sap season? Piled full of every tool and maple adaptor known to man?

collinsmapleman2012
03-09-2015, 07:50 PM
yeah, except mine is inside a single cab. use the bed for farm work every other day so I cant put stuff there, and so I pile it on in. I have been working and working without snowshoes so tomorrow I'm borrowing a set. anything is better than what I've been doing. I used to be able to get 1,000 taps per day in by myself, now its closer to 600 with all this snow.

PACMAN
03-09-2015, 07:58 PM
The thing about snowshoes is that one size does not fit all. Bigger people need bigger snow shoes. I have used 60s before when I was younger and for the soft powder thats in the woods now thats what I need,as far as working on them,I used to trap with them and did fine. And yes,after the trails have been made I will use a shorter pair.

TheMapleMoose
03-10-2015, 05:13 AM
The thing about snowshoes is that one size does not fit all. Bigger people need bigger snow shoes. I have used 60s before when I was younger and for the soft powder thats in the woods now thats what I need,as far as working on them,I used to trap with them and did fine. And yes,after the trails have been made I will use a shorter pair.

Good point. I have 3 pair that I use depending on the situation

antelope76
03-10-2015, 01:03 PM
They come in all sizes. I am 6'5" and go about 280lbs. I need the biggest snow shoes they make to keep me on top of the snow. The 56" really aren;t all that bad, just need a little bigger area to get turned around or around a tree.

antelope76
03-10-2015, 01:04 PM
56 inch snow shoes?? i have never worn snow shoes before..I thought they were like 2 feet long. I'd love to see a video of you walking in 5 foot shoes..

They come in all sizes. I am 6'5" and go about 280lbs. I need the biggest snow shoes they make to keep me on top of the snow. The 56" really aren;t all that bad, just need a little bigger area to get turned around or around a tree.

Pauly V
03-10-2015, 06:05 PM
thank you for the pictures and comments. will invest next season in a pair..best of luck to all of you!

maple flats
03-10-2015, 07:07 PM
And I have 4 pair, mostly to match snow conditions. However, I furnish the snowshoes to my help and there goes the matching the snow conditions.
The snow last Sat. was very light and the lightest worker (about 140#) using 8 x 25 shoes sank in about 6", I had on military surplus trailer shoes at 13" wide and 46" long Alaskan style, I sank in about 4" (yes, I weigh plenty more). My heaviest worker used my 9 x 36 shoes (heavier than me, he sunk in about 6-7" most of the time)
With the weather we've had since, I expect them to perform radically different when I go out tomorrow. As snow settles the shoes can get smaller.
When I have the luxury, I match snowshoes to snow condition and wear which ever pair do the job with the smallest snowshoe.

Sam Caruth
03-10-2015, 09:10 PM
I use some New Gen Yukon Charlies. They have the plastic clips, and bindings, but have never frozen and broke. A very very good movable shoe. Last winter, after a 3+ foot lake affect storm, I was walking and sinking less than 4 inches. Worth looking into.

Wanabe1972
03-10-2015, 09:26 PM
I also use the Yukon Charlie's 8 x 25 I'm a fat guy and these are a little small for powder snow but work really well after a. Couple of days above freezing. They were shoes poles and bag for like 40 at BJs but that was several years ago.

PACMAN
03-14-2015, 04:45 PM
I just got my new shoes today. They are awsome. I tried the new ones this afternoon,and I never sank at all. I tried the tubbs and I went right to my knees. Then I put the new ones on and never sank at all and I managed to get over 100 in today. My son and I will go up in the am and finish. Those new shoes made tapping enjoyable again.

Ravenseye
03-17-2015, 09:02 AM
I have an inexpensive 30" pair that do the trick for the most part. I could probably go a little longer, maybe 34". They are MTN shoes. Lightweight and durable. I like them.

Worcester
03-19-2015, 08:32 AM
I bought a pair of TSL titan 30" this year after I was told Faber had sold out of the mountain quest model.

I will be trying to get a refund for the TSL shoes because both of the bands on the bindings are failing in one less than one season of work.
They were $220 and claimed to be rugged.

I recommend that anyone looking to work in their snowshoes get a model with a medal turnbuckle instead of the old style band. At least on these TSL titans, it looks like the binding was designed to cut the band they pivot on!

Faber snowshoes are less expensive and more up to date in design. I will be ordering a pair of 30" mountain quests early this next season.

Woodland Acres
03-21-2015, 07:53 PM
after spending a week tapping and repairing lines on snowshoes i know why you never see big bird walking backwards

PACMAN
03-22-2015, 07:13 AM
Good one Woodland acers. Im going to stop by one of these days

eustis22
03-22-2015, 07:18 AM
Get the MSRs....add the tails.

PACMAN
03-22-2015, 03:22 PM
I've been using my new Alaskans for a week now,and I have'nt sank more than 3 inches anywhere in my bush. I tried taking them off today to tap and I sank to my waist. They are not that hard to get around with. I really like them. Getting another pair from them for next year.

maple flats
03-22-2015, 04:20 PM
Our snow conditions have actually changed enough so that in below freezing temps we can "walk on water" (snow), At some point as things warm we will again need them. We were out Friday and Sat without and I only broke thru once, but caught myself before going more than about 8-10" deep. I needed them Thursday, and while putting the second one on, I went over backwards and had to roll to get back up. That was my first fall of the year, but I did go to one knee twice. I think that was not too bad for an old guy.

PACMAN
03-23-2015, 05:51 PM
I hear ya Flats. I needed a set like I got because I have 6 herniated disks in my back,and sinking at all is very hard on me. Im only 52 but at times I feel like 90.lol I still have about 80 to put in and i will get that done tomorrow. How you doin so far?