PDA

View Full Version : Will a gas grill work better than a turkey fryer?

Cedar Eater
03-08-2015, 01:25 PM
I have an old small Kenmore gas grill with an H shaped 2 valve burner. I'm thinking of getting a steam table pan, using the turkey fryer as a preheater and boiling on the gas grill. Thanks for any advice other than go buy something else. This is my first year and I imagine I'll get around to buying something else by next year. I have the gas grill connected to my home propane piping.

Homespun
03-08-2015, 03:01 PM
I would reverse the duties. A turkey fryer usually has much higher heat output than a grill, which would equal less time boiling. Maybe tee the line to the grill and run the fryer off the house propane too? I preheat mine on the house stove in a large pot because it warms up faster there (warmer air temperature in the house and no wind to push heat away from the warming pan).
Good luck this year!

Ausable
03-08-2015, 03:50 PM
I agree with Homespun - Usually - A lot more heat from a turkey fryer burner. I use my turkey fryer burner to finish my near maple syrup in a deep steam table pan. Hey - works for me.

Cedar Eater
03-08-2015, 04:38 PM
Okay thanks. I can try to tap the turkey fryer into the line from the house. I'm qualified to do the work, but I borrowed it, so I was hoping to avoid that. I also have just the burner from an old gas water heater that looks like it would put our a very big flame. It's tubed with 1/2" instead of the normal 3/8". I might have to actually pipe black iron instead of 3/8" copper to feed it.

Run Forest Run!
03-08-2015, 05:41 PM
Hi Cedar Eater. Since you are only putting in five maple taps, you'll be just fine working on the turkey fryer. Preheat on the gas grill and then add the hot sap to the pan on the turkey fryer. You should be able to yield at least 1/2 gallon of finished syrup with one 20 pound propane tank, so it's not that expensive. Keep a second propane tank full at all times so you can switch out when you need to. I'm usually able to boil 10-12 hours on one tank.

It's also totally fine for you to stop the boiling process at any time and pick it up the next day or so. Just keep the sap, or partially boiled sap cool. With a small operation like yours and propane fuel you've got lots of flexibility. Have a great time!!!!!!!!!!

Cedar Eater
03-08-2015, 06:51 PM
Thanks, Karen. I'm enjoying the journey, so far. I walked part of my property today and discovered I have way too many tappable trees. I could be in big trouble. :lol:

kiteflyingeek
03-13-2015, 08:01 AM
Yeah, if you are already eyeing the rest of your trees, you are in trouble. Welcome to the club -- you are officially diagnosed with the maple disease. There really isn't a cure; you just have to develop coping skills :rolleyes:

Anyways, welcome to the Trader and the addiction!

--andrew

BreezyHill
03-13-2015, 08:48 AM
I have an old small Kenmore gas grill with an H shaped 2 valve burner. I'm thinking of getting a steam table pan, using the turkey fryer as a preheater and boiling on the gas grill. Thanks for any advice other than go buy something else. This is my first year and I imagine I'll get around to buying something else by next year. I have the gas grill connected to my home propane piping.

While as said the turkey fryer has more BTU out put much is lost around a pan. If you can close the BBQ you will have the affect of a covered pan that will boil way faster. If you can get some old refrigerator grates to make a support for another pan.

Good Luck!

Ben

eustis22
03-13-2015, 11:10 AM
um, if he closes the lid wouldn't all the steam condense on the inside and drip right back into his pan?

jrgagne99
03-13-2015, 11:34 AM
I used a propane grill with a steam table pan for my first two 2 years, it worked well. You need to take the grates out and set the pan right on top of the flames, maybe 1/2" off the burner. I used some 2" pipe couplings as stand-offs in my grill and could get about 2 GPH evaporation rate.

What are people getting for boil-off GPH on turkey fryers?

Run Forest Run!
03-13-2015, 12:00 PM
What are people getting for boil-off GPH on turkey fryers?

The key is to maintain a rolling boil. At that rate I can boil off 1.5 gallons on each of my two propane fryers. That's because my steam pans have a surface area of 1.5 square feet each. A good rolling boil should boil off 1 gallon of liquid per square foot of surface area per hour.

Cedar Eater
03-13-2015, 12:56 PM
I'm boiling on the gas grill now with an aluminum roasting pan. I took the window out of the grill lid and faced it toward the breeze so the vapor is coming out the back. The grill lid is not dripping into the pan. I'm getting a little better than 1 gph evap. It's much cheaper to use the home propane than the turkey fryer, even if the evap time is a bit longer.

mathprofdk
03-13-2015, 10:01 PM
While as said the turkey fryer has more BTU out put much is lost around a pan. If you can close the BBQ you will have the affect of a covered pan that will boil way faster. If you can get some old refrigerator grates to make a support for another pan.

Good Luck!

Ben

I actually purchased some ceramic insulation and wrapped my turkey fryer with that (leaving space for air and be careful not to melt your supply line). That helped a TON. Something to think about.