PDA

View Full Version : Bb2 exhaust smoke?

Uncle Tucker
03-08-2015, 12:08 PM
I hooked up my bb2 last night and at levels higher than 15" the exhaust had smoke puffs coming out. Last year I ran at 26 " and had a fan on the pump so I didn't notice the smoke.

Is this part of running at higher levels or should I back off the " ?

BreezyHill
03-08-2015, 01:25 PM
The exhaust smoke is one of two things: Oil or water vapor and most likely a combo of the two.

If the pump is running over 165 degrees then yes put a fan on it. below this temp and the unit will get condensation in the oil from water vapor condensating on the cooler pump parts. If you run tractor supply blue vac oil then the water will be separated out ever evening after a few minutes and you can drain it out. A ball valve on a nipple to drain is a great time saver. A clear piece of hose between a close up nipple and the ball valve is even better.

The higher the vac the easier it is to get vapor in the exhausted air...oil and water. If you don't have a water trap in the system then you will have a lot of water vapor in the exhaust.

If the pump is cold it will condensate out water very efficiently and damage the bearings and cam shaft quickly.

If you have a metal trash can could use it to collect and condensate out the vapor. The oil can be reused for the pump and the water can be drained and (Disposed of in an environmentally friendly way), sare have to say that for the greener of those among us.

The other great use of the vapor is to feed it thru your evaporator's blower system and just burn off the oil.

For a small amount of $$ you can get a sensor and temp unit to monitor your pumps temp and turn on a fan at a preset temp.

Ben

Uncle Tucker
03-08-2015, 04:18 PM
Thx Ben,
There is a moisture trap (house water filter with a racquet ball) in line but it might let vapor by. Plus the releaser is closed off now so I don't think it's water.
The smoke smells like oil. It doesn't smell burnt nor is it hot.
The pump isn't all that hot. The only part that is really warm is the top. I can put my hand on it for 10 seconds with out burning.
The oil is 10W-30. From what I read I will switch to TS vac oil.
Should I use the regulator or just crank it down? The pump doesn't get any hotter when it's at 24".
It's looking like the problem is the oil.
If my TS doesn't have that what should I buy?

BreezyHill
03-08-2015, 09:35 PM
It is the oil...if you look at the oil it will be creamy or a tan color. This is very bad. the color is due to water trapped in the oil.

Motor oil is designed to with stand heat...lots of heat....500-600 is not a big deal for motor oil.

Vac oil will evap at 170 or so. This is a cooling process...just like rubbing alcohol is cooler than water as it evaps at a much lower temp.

The smoke is a combination of water and oil evaporating.

The temp you Are talking is likely around 120.

I don't like the pump that cool because when you shut it down for the night there is no residual heat to help evap off any condensation out the exhaust. This leads to moisture in the oil and rusting of the internal parts.

If you cant get oil at TSC, then try your areas feed store. The dairy farmers have to get it somewhere. Your maple dealer often has good oil but it is usually rather costly.

When I pull a pump apart I can tell what type of oil was run in it by looking at the inside of the pump. The pump never lies. She will tell you a lot if you listen.

Personally I have no use for a regulator...take it out and sell it on ebay. My dad always had a stall cock on the line to open and let air in if the pump got hot or an issue came up. My system now I can just open a manifold tee and let in air if it was needed.

I want as much vac as I can get. so regulators don't live here.

Glad to help...great pump you have there. I have my grand fathers that he milked with and dad ran sap with from mid seventies till 2012 when I put in a rotory unit.

Ben

Uncle Tucker
03-10-2015, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the help. I am off to tractor supply tomorrow. I did put a fan on the pump, but after what you were saying I think I will take it off.
I will change the oil and see what happens.

I should have a whole new list of questions tomorrow.