PDA

View Full Version : Certified tree farm

Burnt sap
03-08-2015, 08:36 AM
Is anybody here a certified tree farm with the ATFS?

markct
03-08-2015, 09:56 AM
I think that program with the green diamond signs kinda fizzled out. I was at a talk once with a state forestry guy who was discussing dif forest prog options. An old timer asked what happened to the tree farm one and he said the funding had kinda went away for that. The old timer was a bit upset and brought up the fact that when he enrolled 20 years ago he had to have a 50 year management plan and now the prog is fizzling out long before that

TRAILGUY
03-08-2015, 10:13 AM
I am just got a grant for ro and use my farm # fededal end got more rules and most forester walked away use to be they talked you into it now they test you out who is the fool.

maple flats
03-08-2015, 12:01 PM
I started with a ten year Forest Stewardship plan (that is what was required in 2005). I worked on it but then fell behind. I got too busy in expanding my operation to keep up. Never pursued it further. I was not aware the concept died out. Even though I'm about 7 yrs. behind on my 10 yr. old 10 yr. plan, I still work on it from time to time and I learned a lot in setting up my plan. When we developed my plan, the free state forester listened to my goals and wrote up the plan. He then sent it for my approval, I made a few corrections and he re did it. What I ended up with matched my goals, but as I said, I have not kept up, but I feel it was still a great learning tool.

Burnt sap
03-10-2015, 01:19 PM
OK thanks, Trailguy do you have any links or information on the grants? We became certified two years ago and would like upgrade our equipment and a grant would be great.

tuckermtn
03-10-2015, 04:22 PM
We are a certified tree farm, and have been since 2006.

I know a fair amount about the program as the organization I work for is one of the co-sponsors of Tree Farm in New Hampshire. PM me with questions. I'll do my best to answer.