PDA

View Full Version : Shipping syrup to Norway...

Kilroy
03-07-2015, 10:02 PM
Norway the country, not Norway Michigan -
Maybe some of you professionals can help me here.
I have relatives in Norway, and they love LOVE real maple syrup. I'd like to ship 12 pints to one relative & have that person hand it out to the others.
Anyone ship to Norway or Europe? Issues, concerns, considerations, forms, etc?
No money changing hands, just sharing.
None of them over there think there will be any problems, but my wife thinks there's going to be some sort of restrictions (although she can't seem to come up with anything in writing).

Run Forest Run!
03-07-2015, 10:36 PM
Hey Kilroy, I suggest you take it over personally - I hand delivered mine to Denmark last spring.;) That way you get a great vacation out of the deal and score a lot of points with the family. I'm not sure what postage from the US to Norway would be for that weight of a package, but I think my airfare was likely cheaper than postage from Canada to Denmark. Seriously, our postal rates are ridiculous.

Homespun
03-08-2015, 03:27 PM
Go to this UPS link, pick USA as shipping country & Norway as destination country. Click the boxes for the various rules and restrictions that would apply and get the results. From my quick search there it looks like UPS says food gifts are ok, within Norwegian currency value limits shown and UPS weight & package size limits. I don't know if a gift shipment will require the receivers to pay duties or taxes on it.

http://www.ups.com/ga/CountryRegs?loc=en_US

lakeview maple
03-08-2015, 04:34 PM
I mailed syrup to both Germany and Afghanistan when my son was stationed there, I boxed it up and mailed it at the post office ,never had an issue.

Maple Hill
03-08-2015, 05:12 PM
Go to this UPS link, pick USA as shipping country & Norway as destination country. Click the boxes for the various rules and restrictions that would apply and get the results. From my quick search there it looks like UPS says food gifts are ok, within Norwegian currency value limits shown and UPS weight & package size limits. I don't know if a gift shipment will require the receivers to pay duties or taxes on it.

http://www.ups.com/ga/CountryRegs?loc=en_US Just a note UPS does not insure Maple Syrup

ldick
03-09-2015, 12:27 PM
I shipped some syrup to Scotland and USPS was less than half the cost of UPS or Fed-Ex. I would be sure to compare costs before shipping.

Kilroy
03-09-2015, 05:39 PM
Been doing some digging - doesn't look like there will be any issues.
And no, I'm not making a special (fifth) trip to Norway to deliver the goods lol!

catfisher
03-12-2015, 12:19 PM
Our grandkids live in Switzerland and we are able to ship it to them via USPS with no issues, we do it several times a year.

They are going to be here next weekend to help make syrup for the first time and the oldest, 4, intends on taking a suitcase full home with him this time I'm told.