PDA

View Full Version : Signs of Life in Southern Maine!

bagpiper
03-07-2015, 03:37 PM
I set up the last of my 40 buckets yesterday and spent the morning finishing up my sugar shack set-up. At 7:00 A.M the temp was -3 F. and at 2:00 this afternoon it was 40 F. The trees that are in full sun starting dripping slowly around noon and then shut down again around 4:00. One drip every 5-6 seconds; not much but's it's a start!

Mitchman
03-08-2015, 05:38 AM
I started Friday morning at -14 F. by 2:00 it was 38 F 16 buckets out and just a few drops. Sat morning -10 went to 34 F by 2:00 put out 18 gravity taps. One sugar maple in full sun was dripping every 2 seconds!! Nice !! I couldn't get that lateral line hooked up fast enough !!!

gmcooper
03-08-2015, 08:36 PM
Still too cold to get much sap when it takes most of the day just to thaw the sunny side of the tree. Tapping this weekend only tap holes that dripped were in the sun. At least the weather is trending slightly better.

Chicopee Sap Shack
03-08-2015, 08:40 PM
Only taps that gave much up were on vacuum and that was not much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchman
03-09-2015, 04:39 PM
Finished up my 52 taps, 16 buckets and 36 taps on gravity. I am getting flow and drips just nothing great. Gonna add more on gravity to get a better supply and it's looking like a topsy turvy March. The snow pack has settled to about 4 ft. If i venture off my paths i go right to my crotch. It is fun though !!!!

bagpiper
03-17-2015, 06:18 PM
I emptied my 40 buckets late this afternoon before the current freeze up. The wind was howling and a few branches came down; typical crazy March weather here in Maine. A half dozen trees had put out a gallon or two, but most are still just waking up with a quart or so. I collected about 30 gallons total along with some ice and about a million snow fleas, so I'll have a very short boil this weekend - much like last Saturday. This is my 1st year and I can't wait until I find the buckets brimming with sap! I know that it'll happen soon - I have faith!

davrhods
03-17-2015, 08:20 PM
wind is howling better off leaving sap in buckets

sugardaddy's
03-19-2015, 07:59 PM
I saw some boiling going on, on RTE. 111

Aaron Roy
03-20-2015, 01:07 PM
That will be me tomorrow. I have 50 gallons to boil

bagpiper
03-25-2015, 06:31 PM
I emptied my 47 +/- buckets today in preparation for what I hope is the BIG RUN! I harvested about 50 gallons of sap and ice. I'll let the whole mess thaw out some more in a 55 gallon drum and boil it on Saturday. I won't be peeking into buckets until late tomorrow after work, but am hoping for a liquid suprise for once. I'd love to have another 50 gallons or more for the weekend.

abbott
03-25-2015, 07:05 PM
I emptied my 47 +/- buckets today in preparation for what I hope is the BIG RUN! I harvested about 50 gallons of sap and ice. I'll let the whole mess thaw out some more in a 55 gallon drum and boil it on Saturday. I won't be peeking into buckets until late tomorrow after work, but am hoping for a liquid suprise for once. I'd love to have another 50 gallons or more for the weekend.

Don't get your hopes too high. With no freeze likely for the next two nights, you'd need vacuum to make them run. At this point, I'd start looking forward to the weekend. The warm weather will help get them going, just not until after an overnight freeze. That's my two cents, anyway.

bagpiper
03-26-2015, 07:59 PM
You are a wise man Mr. Abbott. Came home after work today and checked a few buckets. The trees that had been running put out a quart or two and the cold trees are still in hibernation.

By the way, do you know Art Swanson with the farmhouse on Sumner & Forbes Road over near Hammond's Ledge?

abbott
03-27-2015, 06:10 AM
You are a wise man Mr. Abbott. Came home after work today and checked a few buckets. The trees that had been running put out a quart or two and the cold trees are still in hibernation.

By the way, do you know Art Swanson with the farmhouse on Sumner & Forbes Road over near Hammond's Ledge?

No I don't happen to know him...I'm not that wise. Is Hammond's Ledge down in the Berwick area or up near me?

Even with vacuum to keep the trees trickling, I haven't got huge amounts of sap over the last couple of days - but at least its 2.6% sugar. At this point the forecast is looking great starting Sunday and with April just around the corner we really need the season to kick into high gear now!