PDA

View Full Version : Bayfield County

Kilroy
03-06-2015, 10:22 PM
I've got property just outside of Mason that I plan on tapping.
Interested to hear from locals about this season's prospects...
Judging by Accuweather, it looks like an early start this year.
Was hoping to get at it the end of the month, but looks like a sooner start is in order.

GramaCindy
03-07-2015, 04:52 AM
Hello Kilroy. Mason is a great area for Maples! I am in Barnes, about 25 miles S SW of Mason. I am tapping today. Have a great season!

Kilroy
03-14-2015, 05:05 PM
18 taps in today, Mason area.
14 wet right off the get go.
Mixed hard & soft maples.

Sliverslinger
03-14-2015, 07:46 PM
Up in Washburn, still VERY SLOW!! I have 60 tapped right now and still getting 4-6 gallons per day. I really hope next weeks cool down does something for my trees.

syrup2make
03-14-2015, 09:25 PM
I think things will get better next week. We are having the same issues here, slow sapping.

Kilroy
03-28-2015, 08:50 AM
8° F this morning.
I've got around 85 gallons of sap & 40 gallons of ice stockpiled from the previous week.
Boiling on Sunday.
Saving ice to keep this coming week's sap in.
Putting sap hydrometer on top of list for next year's list of goodies.
With these temps, it would be interesting to keep removing ice & see what the sugar content does.

Kilroy
04-05-2015, 07:20 PM
Hated to do it, but pulled my taps today. Too much to do & not enough time.
Every single one of 'em was running good when I pulled them out.
Hauled home 150 gallons to work with tomorrow, as I have no setup (so far) to boil at "the cabin".
Rain on tap down here for tomorrow - guess I better dig out the tarps & come up with a plan...

Sliverslinger
04-07-2015, 07:04 AM
Pulled my taps on Sunday. My question is, what can cause the syrup to be sooo dark? This last batch (ended up being 4 gallons) in the pan I started noticing really dark foam, and much more foam than normal. The foam never died down and the syrup ended up very dark with a fair amount of sediment in the bottom of my pan and when I stored it in buckets prior to finishing, lots of sediment in the bottom of the bucket. Any opinions welcome as I have been sugaring for 5 years now and have not seen this in previous years. With Lake Superior opening up and fish begging to be caught, I finish the year with 12 gallons from my 60 taps. Another fun year.