PDA

View Full Version : Metals for a steam hood

DaveB
03-06-2015, 02:05 PM
I'm considering having a local metal shop fabricate a steam hood for me and before I start getting some quotes, what kind of metals are OK? I have a stainless evaporator so I don't know if certain metals will react to that or not.

Also, what is a good ballpark figure for what this should cost me? I'm just looking for a basic 2'x4' hood that's basically a 12" box with a hinged door on each side and an outlet where I could connected a pipe for steam.

Thanks...

jmayerl
03-06-2015, 02:45 PM
Aluminim or stainless. Aluminim should be under $150 , stainless maybe twice as much

wiam
03-06-2015, 06:33 PM
I was recently quoted about $350 for 2x4 stainless with drip edge around the bottom. But they can't make it till June.

maple flats
03-06-2015, 06:40 PM
I made my first 3 hoods (3 different evaporators) out of aluminum. I bought 1 x 1 x 1 U channel for the gutter drain. I mitered the corners anfd "welded" them using aluminum rod I bought at TSC. It was done with a mapp gas torch, much like brazing. Then I pop riveted the gutter to the bottom of the homemade hood. At 1 corner I made an extension that stuck out about 4" and under that I collected the "hot water" and used it for cleaning things.
My current hood set is SS and was made by Thor Equipment, it was a very slightly dented demo and the price was too good to pass up, but the homemade ones worked every bit as well.

n8hutch
03-06-2015, 06:48 PM
I just had a suspended hood made locally out of aluminum.it was 40.00 dollars a foot . I paid 350.00$ for A 3'x9'.