PDA

View Full Version : how long do you think till the trees thaw

austin357
03-06-2015, 05:47 AM
Its my second year doin this just wondering what you guys think. Is it goina take a few days of warm

Russell Lampron
03-06-2015, 05:53 AM
They should start running some the first day that it is above freezing. They will run better if there is some sun and no wind.

Ausable
03-06-2015, 05:55 AM
Very soon. But - Mother Nature likes to laugh at us mere mortals - so ---- No predictions from me ---- Except - Very soon.

sugar daddy 1
03-06-2015, 08:21 AM
It's going to take a few days to get them to run. Below zero last night. Trees in full sun will run sooner, trees deep in the woods will take a while. I don't think we will get a good run (a gallon per tap)until the middle of next week. We hope to be 100% tapped by Wednesday, the 11. By next weekend we all should be making nature's gold. About a week earlier than last year, but later than usual.

Lethalbowman
03-06-2015, 08:41 AM
10874 I am guessing that by Tuesday or Wednesday Things are going to thawing out quite nicely here in the Traverse City area. The folks that tap the 40 acre parcel next to me were busy hanging buckets when I got home from work yesterday. My 50 bag hangers will all be hung by Sunday. I am planning my 1st boil for next weekend.

BreezyHill
03-06-2015, 09:32 AM
Last night we were 5 below zero again, and at 8:50 it is up to 6. This weekend we are to have above freezing temps. If it is sunny as they predict the trees will drip very slowly but will drip. This is what happened last season. The first day above 32 was like 38 and it dripped really slow. The second day it actually ran a little. Then it was back to a deep freeze and the cycle started again.

If we can keep the snow pack to bring the pm temps down we will have a good season if not I expect a below average season as we are getting later in the season and our average high temps are getting up there.

At some point in time it is going to swing the other way to make the unusually cold back to average.

Best wishes for your season.

Ben

Cedar Eater
03-06-2015, 04:04 PM
I'm a total noob, so take what I say with that in mind. We just tapped our first ever trees today and the first one was in full sun. We noticed a little weeping around the spile. The temp was around 25. I would call that a good sign.

ronintank
03-06-2015, 04:19 PM
I think in my woods it will be Thursday next week there may be enough to pump the drums and maybe a batch of syrup next weekend.