PDA

View Full Version : Shut off valve for 5/16th tubing

pls009
03-05-2015, 08:01 PM
I want to be able to install a shut off valve on 5/16 tubing. Is there any small size ones out there that anyone can point me towards? I was hoping not to have to buy large ones and use reducers but maybe that is what I will need to do. Thanks in advance for any guidance. Paul

markct
03-05-2015, 08:13 PM
Just curious why? Maybe one of those ones for a lawnmower fuel line, new of course as it would be minimal contact anyhow.

Paul VT
03-05-2015, 08:45 PM
Just curious why? Maybe one of those ones for a lawnmower fuel line, new of course as it would be minimal contact anyhow.
My thoughts exactly. They have barbs on them and are very inexpensive.

DrTimPerkins
03-06-2015, 07:30 AM
Maybe one of those ones for a lawnmower fuel line, new of course as it would be minimal contact anyhow.

These would work on gravity lines, but are not vacuum tight.

psparr
03-06-2015, 09:01 AM
So during this banner year he can shut off the flow while he collects. That way he won't get sprayed with sap and have to change clothes!

markct
03-06-2015, 10:05 AM
Good to know Dr Tim i take it you tried them before? I often thought they would work but never had a need to shutoff a small line

DrTimPerkins
03-06-2015, 10:13 AM
Good to know Dr Tim i take it you tried them before?

Yes, I've tried them. They leak at moderate to high vacuum.

BreezyHill
03-06-2015, 10:14 AM
Check out aquarium bubblers...I remember seeing them on ebay last year when I was looking for a valve to drain a ladder.

pls009
03-06-2015, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the advice! - I never thought of ebay!

Sugarmaker
03-06-2015, 11:47 AM
A small pair of vise grips might work well too.
Regards,
Chris

DaveB
03-06-2015, 02:39 PM

Yes but is it food grade? I ask because I've seen products poo pooed here that are made of the same plastic but because the manufacturer doesn't specifically say or sign off on their being food grade some won't use them.

DrTimPerkins
03-06-2015, 03:35 PM
A small pair of vise grips might work well too.

Yes, I use this method and it works quite well for both gravity and vacuum systems. Just slip a small piece of 5/16" tubing over the jaws from cutting into the tubing you're trying to stop the flow in.

markct
03-07-2015, 06:11 AM
They actualy make vice grips with rounded smooth jaws just for that purpose. Vice grips are a pretty darn versitile tool that no one would want to be without. My parents have a video of me sitting on santas lap at about 7 years old and telling him i want vice grips, santa seemed rather surprised as he repeated VICE GRIPS in a jolly voice im sure he knew there versatility lol

pipeline
03-07-2015, 07:57 PM
we just bought some harbor freight elcheapo needle nose vise grips and rounded the jaws smooth to use for repair under vac.

pls009
03-12-2015, 08:44 PM
Thanks so much for the needle nose vice grip tip. Bought some at H Freight and they solved my problem! My issue is that I have 6 long gravity lines that feed into a manifold that then is connected to a Bosworth Sap Guzzler. The Guzzler has really helped me out but everything needs to be tight for it to work. My vac pressure was terrible and I couldn't find any leaks. By pinching off the lines i was able to figure out which line was causing the problem. I then needed to pinch off the line in different areas to find the problem. The problem ended up being that I tapped at tree that had a hollow spot. It never made a sound I would have never located it without pinching off the lines. I had one squirrel bite but that made a whistling sound and was easy to find. Maybe someone will learn from my experience because when working with a low CFM pump, it doesn't take much for the vacuum to suffer.