PDA

View Full Version : Hydrometer Questions

Pete S
01-31-2007, 05:20 AM
Hello,

We did our first year making syrup in 2006.

Our process is "purty simple", and we utilized the "temperature" method to achieve what we believed to be syrup. In speaking to others and reading a bit here,...........sounds like the way to go is utilizing a hydrometer.

1.) What type/size/style should we look for. I've been lurking on Ebay and saw old and new, with varied prices.

2.) Now, what's the deal with the cup? Is this an absolute? We do have a very shallow pan and would need to fill something to float the hydrometer.

3.) I would imagine that syrup temp plays a part in NOT shattering this thing to bits..........right. What is the ideal temp?

4.) What reading should we be looking for? Atmospheric conditions shouldn't effect this right?

Any links and information is greatly apprecaited.

It finally got COLD here, and gonna get colder.

Pete

Dave Y
01-31-2007, 05:57 AM
Pete,
You fill your hydometer cup w/hot syrup and take a reading @ 211 deg. read the top line for hot. Or fill cup w/ cold syrup 68deg. and read the bottom line.
Both lines are red. you will need to match your hydrometer to the cup, short hydrometer for small cup, and large hydrometer for large cup. you would be better served if you bought them new from a dealer. they are not expensive. the sponsors of this site have them.www.mapleguys.com

maplehound
01-31-2007, 07:11 AM
Pete,
Dave is right. You don't want a used hydrometer. In fact you should replace or have them checked every few years. The hydrometers are made of glass with a piece of paper inside. This paper could slip down some and through yur reading off. Most dealers can help you with getting them checked or you can even mark the inside of your box, that it comes in, to indicate were the paper should be. Most hydrometers come with instructions on how to do it.

HanginAround
01-31-2007, 08:03 AM
I really prefer using a hydrotherm, no temperature worry or compensation to do. It has a thermometer inside a hydrometer and you float it at the line on the thermometer. They are about $30. You don't need to buy a stainless cup, but you do need a vessel of some sort deep enough to float it, and easy to handle, and the cups are the best thing for the job.

mountainvan
01-31-2007, 09:38 AM
A new hydrometer and a good cup are best. Also a digital thermometer to check the temperature of the syrup, a meat thermometer is fine. There's a scale in the maple producers manual that gives what to add or subtract to compensate for the temperature of the syrup.

325abn
01-31-2007, 09:46 AM
I just ordered a new SS cup and a hydrometer from the MapleGuys!!

Sugarmaker
02-01-2007, 07:05 PM
Hangin,
Where did you get your Hydro-therm? I have never used one.
Chris

HanginAround
02-01-2007, 11:12 PM
Mapleguys.com should have them, or any maple supply. You might also try a wine making store, but not sure if their's would be set up at the right brix.

Hmm, couldn't find one on mapleguys.com, but they should be able to get them. I did find one on Bascom's site, but no pic or specs.

I don't actuallly have a hyrdotherm, but since Dad is a dealer, there are a few in the shop, and that's what I prefer to use.

tuckermtn
02-02-2007, 05:26 AM
The new maple producers manual has a good pros vs. cons on hydrometer vs. hydrotherm...I use the hydrometer with the mapleguys accucup...and we still make our syrup too heavy.

super sappy
02-02-2007, 06:12 AM
How do you use the hydrotherm? I have seen pics of it just floating in a bucket of syrup. The Nearings use them in the maple sugar book. To me they look like they may be messy to deal with( maybe not?) I find syrup to be like tar in that if you spill one drop then it gets everywhere.I do know that they are twice as expensive as a Hydrometer.Super Sappy

ibby458
02-02-2007, 06:21 AM
Actually, Refractometers are pretty reasonable on eBay. I bought one last year that's temperature compensated, and it works like a charm. One drop and I know instantly if it's syrup yet, regardless of temperature. I calibrate it daily, and it's always agreed with my hydrometer(s)

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
02-02-2007, 06:51 AM
post edioted

HanginAround
02-02-2007, 05:38 PM
The electonic refractometers are neat, but expensive for a small producer.

I will have to look closer at the hydrotherms we have, I don't remember any issue with them not being calibrated properly for syrup, and many people use them.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
02-02-2007, 08:19 PM
post edited of syrup...

HanginAround
02-02-2007, 11:18 PM
.4 heavy would probably be pretty good for most people, especially if you knew that and compensated slightly. I guess any time I used them, the syrup was to be packed in drums, and blended and adjusted at bottling time, and they have an optical refractometer for that, so I never actually compared side by side with the better instrument. I wonder if there are different brands, etc., as I think the ones we have are 66 brix.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
02-02-2007, 11:38 PM
post edited

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
02-03-2007, 07:27 AM
post edited

hholt
02-06-2007, 11:34 AM
Hey if you had 67 syrup you could add a Qt of water to the drum to bring it down around 66 and get paid for the water- Ha Ha

I told the farmer that crop shares my farm that if the corn comes out low on moisture % to stand up on the back of his combine and spray it with a water hose at $4 a bushel....he thought that was pretty funny :^)

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
02-06-2007, 07:16 PM
post edited.

Pete S
03-06-2007, 06:47 AM
Thanks for all the information!

I ordered a NEW Hydrometer from the Maple Guys.

Should be here on Wednesday!

I'm thinking about making my own "test cup" utilizing 1"-1 1/2" copper tube, as I can get some purty easy, and it's sweet to sweat it together.

Hope'n to boil this Sunday! Still froze tight..........single digits last night.

Pete

hydrogeo
03-06-2007, 07:09 AM
FYI, I made a test cup as you are describing using some copper tube with a cap solered on the end with lead-free solder. I got lazy and ended up using two stainless hose clamps for the handle. It works great.

tapper
03-06-2007, 07:28 AM
Sure beats the $20.00 or $30.00 the dealers want! I had an Amish tinsmith make me a scoop and skimmer years ago . The pair was less than half the price of the scoop alone and every bit as nice. The same guy made me a filter canner all stainless for $45.00 but with todays prices I'm sure it would be $90.00

Gary in NH
03-06-2007, 08:05 AM
A good alternative is a plastic graduated cylinder from a lab supply house. If its autoclavable it should stand temps up to around 250 degrees. Most have a little lip on the top for pouring which is nice. I have a 100 ml made of Nalgene. It is 9 1/2" x 1" with a snap on base that is about 3" wide. They cost 6.00 to 10.00 and you can find them on the internet.

Gary in NH

Pete S
03-07-2007, 06:34 AM
Hey Hydrogeo...........made mine last night!

1" copper tube, with a sweat on cap, AND installed a "pticher style" handle with soft 1/4" DI tube.

It looks sweet, the cap cost $1.49 and the rest I had here.

We called the nice folks at Lab Safety as they had some graduated beakers. A 100 ML was gonna run $16.00 to buy & ship. We've bought from them in the past but passed this time.

So far it's been a good time makin' most, actually near all our equipment, as we're keepin' the budget low.

Anxious to see how this Hydrometer "thang" werks!

Sunny and still cold here. Hopin that we'll get a run goin' 'bout thurs/fri!

Pete