PDA

View Full Version : Poconos 2015

Maplewalnut
03-05-2015, 08:24 AM
We are all tapped. Last year was a very late year and we did not get any sap until March 8. This year it will be even later than that. Hoping for a good season, April brings some warm temps this far south, even at close to 2000 ft elevation. Have a great season, keep you posted.

Mike

Cabin
03-05-2015, 09:54 AM
We are all tapped. Last year was a very late year and we did not get any sap until March 8. This year it will be even later than that. Hoping for a good season, April brings some warm temps this far south, even at close to 2000 ft elevation. Have a great season, keep you posted.

Mike

I hope to finish my taps Saturday. Then I have to dig out my outside block arch! :(

tuckermtn
03-05-2015, 07:51 PM
good luck with your season Mike...looking good for next week...

Maplewalnut
03-11-2015, 08:37 PM
Well it's been a rough start to say the least. Burned up a 1 horse motor on an sp-11, put in a 1.5 horse and then seized the pump. Going to pick up a sp-22 from a fellow trader to hopefully get my new bush back on line. Sugar is real,low, just over 1.5%. Having problems with a new releaser I bought. Lots of snow still even with a 50 degree day today run was not real good. Stay the course!!!

Dennis H.
03-12-2015, 11:49 AM
Maplewalnut sorry to hear about the sp11, I am also running of those. I found that when it is running at 25" of vac it starts to knock a lot, so I try to keep it around 24".
It is good to hear that you can get an sp22, those rock.

Maplewalnut
03-15-2015, 07:26 PM
Little runs the last few days. Have made some syrup but not a lot. Got another sp-22 hooked up replacing the seized sp-11 but still having releaser problems . Going to exchange the releaser tomorrow or Tuesday, hopefully I just got a bum one and the replacement works as advertised. Never got above 34 here today with light snow but tomorrow should be close to 50. Hoping for a couple of good weeks!

Cabin
03-16-2015, 11:58 AM
Little runs the last few days. Have made some syrup but not a lot. Got another sp-22 hooked up replacing the seized sp-11 but still having releaser problems . Going to exchange the releaser tomorrow or Tuesday, hopefully I just got a bum one and the replacement works as advertised. Never got above 34 here today with light snow but tomorrow should be close to 50. Hoping for a couple of good weeks!

A few of my trees are giving a gallon per day but some have yet to start flowing. I hope this week they open up.

Maplewalnut
03-16-2015, 08:25 PM
First good run today. Vacuum at 24 not bad for a dairy pump. Second bush should be back in action by
Wednesday. Lapierre is overnighting a releaser to me. Should of stayed name brand when buying new releaser...., lesson learned!! About gallon a tap today, Syrup is dark, which is just what I need. Rest of week looks good.

Cabin
03-20-2015, 07:56 AM
Went from getting 8 gallons on Wednesday to 21 gallons on Thursday. Maybe the trees are finally opening up. 3 of my trees still have done nothing though. These 40 trees on the ridge have always been poor producers. Rather funny the trees I taped last year are only 100 feet from this group and produce better.

Z/MAN
03-20-2015, 10:26 PM
Maplewalnut, Nice story on WBRE 28 tonight on your place.

Maplewalnut
03-23-2015, 08:07 AM
Thanks Paul. They wanted to see some buckets, said it was more recognizable/traditional to people than miles of tubing snaked throu the woods. Oh well!

Good weekend, in fact Saturday was best run of the year so far and it was only 35 degrees, but very very sunny. Looks like things are finally opening up around here and snow is melting quickly. All equipment failures have been fixed, vacuum levels are all up so let the sap flow. Looks like a perfect week the next 7 days.

Z/MAN
03-23-2015, 09:12 AM
Great to hear they are running somewhere. I only got about 15 gallons Saturday. I guess the vacuum makes a big difference.

doocat
03-23-2015, 10:37 AM
We only brought in about a thousand gallons on Saturday and it was 35-36 degrees. All vacuum was good trees just did not want to let go. And so we wait. I did polish the sides of our pans over the last few days though.....We need sap....

Craig

Maplewalnut
03-27-2015, 07:11 AM
Full tanks everywhere,, not text book sugar weather other than it never dipped below freezing but I'll take it. Hopefully everyone else got a pleasant surprise this morning. Gotta go

Z/MAN
03-27-2015, 06:34 PM
My surprise was 31 degrees!! I can't win. I wish I was 500 feet lower.

Maplewalnut
03-29-2015, 10:43 AM
Sugar percent is up and rest of week looks ideal. Hang in there guys to the north it should open up soon. About 50% of crop

doocat
04-03-2015, 07:06 PM
Looks like our freezing nights evaporated. Maybe one or two more and then it all over in Northeast Pennsylvania..... was hoping for anther week but only God can control that for us... We are very happy with the quality of syrup we have produced this year though..

Craig

Cabin
04-05-2015, 09:18 AM
Pulled all my taps out yesterday. Not the best of seasons but I think I did as well as last year.

doocat
04-05-2015, 11:26 AM
Looks like a few days this week yet. Snowing like crazy right now (Sunday @noon) and temps have not gone high enough to run..

Maplewalnut
04-06-2015, 10:46 AM
Freeze last two nights so we continue on, sap is reportedly clear still this morning. But the end is in sight..

Maplewalnut
04-08-2015, 12:18 PM
We are done, turned off pumps. No freezing temps in forecast and as I have said before, it is really hard to make syrup past first week in April in PA. Trees are not budded, have not heard peepers but sap is down to a trickle. First boil March 14...boiled 16 out of 21 days...Looks like about 65-70% of expected crop. Not great but considering a 3 week season and equipment troubles at start up, I am thankful for what we got. Not looking good for purchasing that bigger RO this year!