PDA

View Full Version : Blanket Question for Barrel Evaporator

Shirlsaw63
03-05-2015, 06:29 AM
I have a barrel evaporator built for this year and I purchased the blanket insulation for it. Just not sure if I should line the whole barrel with it - except for pan and door area. Looking for input on how others have done this. I do have fire brick to place in it too. Any thoughts or pictures would be welcome. Also thoughts on installing the blanket insulation. I was told to drill holes and run bolts through to hold it in place. Thanks!!

Sugarmaker
03-05-2015, 07:00 AM
Bricks may hold some of it in place without the bolts. Bolts can be used to hold it to the door. Which is one of the places I would suggest that you attach some blanket. You use it every few minutes and it can get very hot.
Regards,
Chris

RC Maple
03-05-2015, 07:23 AM
I have a barrel evaporator and have always had insulation blanket in it. It is also lined with firebrick that is dry stacked. Between them you can stand right next to the evaporator all day and it doesn't get too hot. I always repaint it after the season with some high temp paint but mostly to touch up a few areas not because it is too hot for the paint. Doing the door is a good idea - I never have but usually think that "I should do that for next year". To do the door I would have to drill holes through it and I suppose that is why I haven't.

Shirlsaw63
03-06-2015, 07:00 AM
Thanks Sugarmaker - I wasn't even thinking about the door but that is an excellent idea!

Shirlsaw63
03-06-2015, 07:01 AM
RC Maple - how do you have the blanket attached in the rest of your barrel?

RC Maple
03-06-2015, 07:56 AM
RC Maple - how do you have the blanket attached in the rest of your barrel?

If I had a picture of it handy and was good at putting attachments on here I would have a picture of it with this post. On the back of the barrel the dry stacked firebrick holds the blanket in place. The sides are flared to accommodate the two foot wide pan which means I can dry stack the brick along the sides right up to the channel the pan sits in. The front of the barrel is isn't as easy to do, trying to fit small pieces of insulation around the door with similar sized firebrick to keep it in place. So the back and the sides are insulated well and the front - it helps keep the sugarhouse warm.

Agent914
03-06-2015, 11:35 AM
I used to have a Barrel evaporator witha 2 pans set-up and I wanted to savwe the heat and stnad next to the barrel when boiling .... so I wrapped the insulation on the outside of the barrel and secured it with with sheet metal screws and flashing. I also added a flame deflector plate so the flame would not go up adn out the stack. Doing this allowed me to keep the fire box as big as possible and I figured the metal walls would take the heat. It worked great with better than expected evaporation rates long runs and I used less wood that expected….but…the barrel was trashed at the end of the season… metal fatigue so I build a bigger out of an oil tank whish should last a life time.