PDA

View Full Version : How many CFM per tap?

Sugarmaster310
03-04-2015, 07:06 PM
I was woundering if anyone knew about how many cfm's per tap. Found a good deal on a busch vacuum pump and need to know if it's big enough! Thanks

Schiefe4
03-04-2015, 07:45 PM
.5-1.5 per 100

BreezyHill
03-04-2015, 08:43 PM
I was woundering if anyone knew about how many cfm's per tap. Found a good deal on a busch vacuum pump and need to know if it's big enough! Thanks

CFM depends on how many leaks you have in your system. If the system is tight then you only need one cfm per 100 taps. If your system has leaks then you will need 1 cfm per 50 taps.

Now, if you have an electric releaser you can get down to 1 cfm per 125 taps, but this will take checking lines nearly daily.

spud
03-04-2015, 08:51 PM
Half your CFMs can be lost between vacuum pump and releaser if your pipe is not large enough. As far as the woods goes I like to get 1.5 CFMs per one hundred taps.

Spud

Sugarmaster310
03-05-2015, 11:22 AM
Thanks guys I have pretty much all new tubing so it should be a pretty tight system

BreezyHill
03-05-2015, 12:16 PM
Not saying you did a bad job on the tubing installation or tapping, but...just because it is new doesn't mean it is tight. The first year retubing a section of the bush I had a bunch of leaks. I think it was the person running the tubing tool was swedging the tubing to much and making a poor connection. Then there were a handful of saddles that were not sealing on some bad L. tubing that was egg shaped.

Spud is right on the line to the releaser from the pump. I kept mine as short as possible and it is 3" pvc. Acts as a balance tank and enhances the moisture trap. The pumps are on the second floor of the sugar house and the releaser is down stairs. So the upstairs pipe is much colder and is sloped to let any condensation run to the moisture trap.

Yes that is a recycled dairy releaser and the pumps I use are modified dairy pumps. Dad was a surge dealer and he taught me a few tricks and I redesigned a couple of pumps to get a little more vac out of them. Something to do in my spare time..lol