PDA

View Full Version : Filter press operation

JoeJ
03-04-2015, 07:00 PM
Has anyone tried re-useable washable filter press felts in their press and if you did, how did you like them?

Joe

Sugarmaker
03-04-2015, 07:43 PM
Used them for half the season last year, but I have a SIRO canister type press and that is the only type that come with it. Seemed to work good.
Regards,
Chris

Russell Lampron
03-05-2015, 05:45 AM
I would think that any filter aid that didn't wash out when you cleaned them would end up in the syrup if you put them back in the press facing the opposite direction than the last time that they were used. I haven't used them and don't want that added thing that has to be done. I like the use it and throw it idea behind using the papers.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-05-2015, 08:24 AM
7" papers are about 10 to 12 cents apiece not worth taking chance in my opinion.

unc23win
03-05-2015, 09:12 AM
I would think that any filter aid that didn't wash out when you cleaned them would end up in the syrup if you put them back in the press facing the opposite direction than the last time that they were used. I haven't used them and don't want that added thing that has to be done. I like the use it and throw it idea behind using the papers.

You can't put the SIRO filter on backwards it only goes on one way. It takes less than 5 minutes to clean it and you are back running.

Russell Lampron
03-05-2015, 03:31 PM
You can't put the SIRO filter on backwards it only goes on one way. It takes less than 5 minutes to clean it and you are back running.

I'm not sure if the OP is using a Siro filter or not. The way that his question is worded it sounds like he's using a regular filter press.

BAP
03-06-2015, 05:59 AM
Filter presses used to use washable cloths for filter pads. The biggest problem with them was if you had to change filters during the boiling session you had to have a second set on hand clean and ready to go. Plus, washing them and getting all the filter aid out was hard on washing machines.