PDA

View Full Version : off grid set up

kpofootball1
03-04-2015, 05:56 AM
Hey guys we're new to the game as of last year. This year we have/are doubling from 23 taps late year to about 50 this year and hoping for close to 200 next year. Next year we plan to run lines and buy a real evaporator. Ideally we would want a vacuum system and a blower for the arch but the problem is we have no power on our land. So my question to all of you is what set ups do you all have to electrically run your equipment.
Thanks in advance.

BreezyHill
03-04-2015, 06:42 AM
In the long run getting grid power will be the cheapest; unless you are mechanically inclined and can find a good gen set. I have two gen sets that run our feed mill. I bought up several feed mills and they were all 3 phase powered. On the farm we had only single phase and $60k to get the third line to the farm. The first unit was a sealed bid and got a 45 kw gas unit for $376.10. The second unit was needed to run the pellet mill and that is a Cat 100 kw diesel unit that was a military unit for $1500.

The gas unit uses about 2.2-2.5 gallons an hour and runs the entire mill when not making pellets. When the grid goes down we can run the entire farm of this unit which is 2 houses a barn and the two shops.

Don't need anything this large to run a sugar operation but the mid size units are cheaper used than are the higher demand small house hold units. With fuel prices as they are gas is cheaper than the diesel units right now and that is even when using fuel oil. BUT if you get into a diesel unit at the right price then grab it and run.

My smaller unit will shut down for low oil pressure, over run on cycles, and low fuel pressure.

Runs 110 and 220 and all I did was hook three large conductors to my panel box and conductors and we were off and running. You could put it on a trailer and park it in a small shed to keep it out of site at the bush and away you go.

Ben

Loch Muller
03-04-2015, 07:09 AM
I have one 20 amp circuit run from my family's farmhouse to the sugar shack on 12 gauge wire. This powers lights, a blower and power tools when I need them, but not all at the same time. I also have a 3000 watt inverter generator I can use if needed. I like that generator because it is quiet and sips gas, but that cost more new than Breezy Hill's setups which puts out 12 to 30 times more power. The diaphram vac pumps run on 120v, but others are 220v, so my little inverter generator wouldn't work for them. You could also look for a gas powered vac pump, reducing electric needs at the sugarhouse.