PDA

View Full Version : Again I ask,,,Tapping Bit lost in my tools.

TerryEspo
03-03-2015, 04:06 PM
I believe I asked last year same question.

I cant find my tapping bit amongst all my regular bits, yes, I am not well organized with bits.

Found my tapping bit case today but it was empty.

How can I tell my tapping bit? Can anyone explain the characteristics of a tapping bit vs regular wood bits please?

What am I looking for ?

Thanks everyone.

Terry

morningstarfarm
03-03-2015, 04:19 PM
Biggest give away is the triangular end that goes in the drill...also the flutes are closer and sharper...good luck

johnallin
03-03-2015, 05:10 PM
Terry, it's likely either 5/16" or 7/16", how many of those do you have?

If you have the Canadian Bits that fit a standard chuck and have a round shank; look for a gold coloring along the flutes. Also the pitch is different on the maple bits...it should begin to stand out after awhile. Hope this helps

markct
03-03-2015, 06:12 PM
If you been using it to drill just anything i would buy a new one. My bits get a piece of tubing to protect the end and then go in the cabinet in the sugarhouse

Mark-NH
03-03-2015, 06:57 PM
What stands out for me are the closeness of the spirals.

TerryEspo
03-03-2015, 08:29 PM
Great advice as to what to look for. Thanks guys. I checked again for 10 mins and don't think I found it yet. The close spirals is my easiest thing I am looking for. I did find a 3 square end for the chuck but that bit isn't it, darn.

The search continues tomorrow.

Thanks so far.

Terry

markct
03-03-2015, 08:44 PM
Square end wouldn't be it, that's the old brace and bit type stuff, the Canadian buts from Bascom are round but a few brands have 3 flats on the shank so the chuck doesn't slip

TerryEspo
03-03-2015, 09:03 PM
Three square flat spots on the end of the bit is what I mean, but sure that is not it.

I actually drilled a piece of maple firewood with it, didn't drill like the tap bit and hole seemed too large, spile went 90% into the hole just by hand.

I will keep looking and will buy a new one this weekend if not lucky finding it.

Thanks.

Terry

Run Forest Run!
03-03-2015, 09:50 PM
Terry, is there an online catalogue from the place that you bought your bit? If so, you could see it that way. I bought my tapping bit at Atkinsons and unfortunately their online catalogue doesn't show an image, but I'd happily photograph mine for you if you also bought yours there.

TerryEspo
03-04-2015, 06:41 AM
Hi Karen:

I did go to the site where I bought the bit. The pic does show what it looks like, kinda, I wish I could make the picture bigger though.

Here is the link of the bit (I think) I bought from them.

http://www.rmgmaple.com/ZenCart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_10_26&products_id=188

I will look again today when I am free later.

Thanks.

Terry