PDA

View Full Version : Question on setting mainline to pump out of woods.

BlueberryHill
03-03-2015, 09:25 AM
I am trying to set up to pump from my collection tanks at the bottom of the hill up to a tank in my truck on the roadside at the top of the hill. I have 100 feet of mainline that I just got. Dang, this stuff does not want to lay out. It really wants to stay coiled. If I was being filmed, I might have been able to make it on Americas Funniest Videos. I'm still pretty green when it comes to this stuff.

I am aware of how mainlines are set up with tensioning a wire and all that, but since I am just using this line to pump up through I don't think that slope, sags, and all that are going to matter. But I would like to secure it in some sort of way. I started out with just some rope and trying to tie it around trees to get it to lay out. But that's where it probably got funny for any onlookers. Does anyone have any tips or tricks on what I should be doing?

This probably would be easier with a second person. That might be the answer. My kids are still too small to help and everyone else prefers couches and TV it seems.

js4fn
03-03-2015, 09:54 AM
hose clamp a ratchet strap 3-4 feet from each end ?
just counted up i put in 180 taps in yesterday in deep snow squirrels are attacking lines like never before must be the new pirch height today its snowing like a bear this global warming has to be stopped ...

vtgaryw
03-03-2015, 10:03 AM
I put in some mainline two weeks ago, after my first attempt, I brought it inside for the night and let it warm up. Made a lot of difference the next day in how flexible it was.

-gary

BreezyHill
03-03-2015, 10:09 AM
I use tension grips and a section of high tensile fence. The one end has the grip onto a J hook in a tree and the other end I use a grip on the end and, depending on how long the tubing run is a section of fence wire tied to the other ends J Hook. Then a slip on the wire a Gallagher rapid fence tightener and tighten the tubing til it looks good.

Did a small section Sunday and it took all of 30 minutes to put up 120' in waist high snow. 16 year old son was off getting supplies we forgot so I did the job myself. Usually it is much faster as one secures one end while the other does the tension end.

I agree with the Global warming...went to Chestertown after another sled and drove into a squall that dumped an inch. Roads went to crap in a mile and speeds down to 20 mph. Spent 3 hours packing the bush to get around with a sled and it is mostly drifted in again.:(

BlueberryHill
03-03-2015, 10:40 AM
Thanks guys. Some good ideas. I think I have this covered now. I was totally unprepared before. Just bought the mainline and thought I was gonna unroll it down the hill and slap a quick connect on each end. Yet another thread that I will look back on in a few years and laugh at myself, haha. Thanks again for the ideas. Learning on the fly is just not always my thing I guess. Sitting out there in waist deep snow just knowing that there is a simple solution that I am missing can be frustrating. I like to dabble in a lot of "farming" type projects, but the more I do, the more I learn that my lack of experience would absolutely kill me if I ever tried to make a career out of it. Tons of respect for all you real farmers on here!

Russell Lampron
03-03-2015, 05:54 PM
The trick to uncoiling pipe is to let off 3 coils then turn the roll of pipe 180* and let off 3 more coils and repeat until the roll is rolled out. If you are working alone secure 1 end of the pipe and walk backwards with the roll as you turn it back and forth until you reach the end. With 2 people one gets to stand and control the roll while the other person caries the end of the pipe to the destination. The tension of the coils going in opposite directions kind of forces the pie to be straight. If the distance is short enough just putting tension grips on each end and pulling the pipe tight will work but supporting it on a wire will allow it to drain completely.

blac
03-11-2015, 11:40 AM
Just what Russell said works for me.. lots of times, well most of the time I'm alone as well. you can also use a simple timber hitch on the pipe and secure it to a tree and if it slips just a quick shot of electrical tape on the tail of the rope...the harder you pull the tighter it gets. what kind of pump is it and how far uphill?

BlueberryHill
03-12-2015, 08:03 AM
Turns out it's a 150' long run. Elevation rise of about 30 feet to so. I have a Honda WX10 which is small but I like how it performs and it's nice and light to lug around. I only have about 35 gallons at the bottom of the hill right now. I piled some snow around it last night. Hopefully it wont be long and I'll know for sure if this system will work out good or not. That sap is better off sitting down there than in my head tank for now until I have enough to boil. I am pretty confident the system will work good. After some tips from you guys (thanks) I got it all stretched out and secured with no further issues or stupidity. If my pump is too weak, then I'll just be lugging a lot of full pails up hill, haha. I need more cardio anyway!

Russell Lampron
03-12-2015, 11:37 AM
That pump will work just fine. I used a wx10 for a few years pumping sap up a 25 foot elevation change first from 900' and then from 1500'. It was alittle slow but did the job. It has an easier life now and still runs strong and this is it's 15th season.