PDA

View Full Version : Homemade 2x3 arch build, more specific - a door question.

MuskyBuck54
03-03-2015, 07:58 AM
Hello, long time reader-first time post so, please bear with me. This past weekend I just completed my first 2x3 homemade arch build with all the excellent information on here. My question is I have 1/4" plate steel door that I would like to 'protect' from the heat. I was going to sandwich a piece of arch board between the extra 1/4" piece I cut out from the door opening. Will that 'inside' piece of 1/4" warp or should I use 14ga SS for the "protector plate" or other ideas/suggestions? Thanks in advance, MB54

MuskyBuck54
03-03-2015, 08:03 AM
Here are a couple pics of the door. Again, Thanks folks!

beaglebriar
03-03-2015, 10:32 AM
I'd weld a 1x1x1/4" angle box inside the door then set your board or some 1/2 fire brick in that. The angle should top any warping.

optionguru
03-03-2015, 11:26 AM
You could also weld some bolts then attach ceramic blanket insulation with big washers on the inside of the door. You would probably have to replace it every couple years from getting hit by wood but it would be a quick easy solution and it would make your door pretty air tight.

MuskyBuck54
03-06-2015, 09:47 PM
I went with the angle iron welded on 3 sides of the door suggestion and the arch board slipped right in. I didn't have any blanket or I might have tried that to get a good seal but need a first test run to see where I'm at now. I have 1/4 fire rope if needed so, should be covered. I really appreciate the suggestions!

Timber207
03-06-2015, 09:54 PM
i just made a door for mine and welded flat bar to hold old clay bricks on the door to insulate it. fired it today for testing and it worked fine.