PDA

View Full Version : welding a soldered pan

arm08260
03-02-2015, 07:14 PM
This may be a stupid question but has anyone ever tried or thought of taking there old soldered pan and sending it to a machine shop to have all the saulder removed and welding it instead? I have an soldered 2x8 small brothers. The flue is in really good shape with just a couple of spots that have been re soldered. Just curious if it is worth the time and effort. I would think it would be cheaper than a new pan. Just thinking for plans for the future because I know the salder isnt going to hold for forever.

vinkandy
03-03-2015, 07:15 AM
Solder can be removed. I'm currently welding a new pan that I designed and fabricated. Make sure the filler wire is 316 Grade S.S. If you want food grade compliance it will need to be 316, not 308 or 304 etc...

Sugarmaker
03-03-2015, 10:26 AM
Two strikes against this.
One taking the solder out of the joints and getting them like new material so as to get a good weld is going to be very hard.
Second trying to fix any pan that has had syrup/sap in it is hard to get the joints clean also. Talk to your weld shop and see but I would keep my expectations low on coming out with good results.
Regards,
Chris

Super Sapper
03-04-2015, 06:58 AM
304 is standard in food grade, 316 is more chemical resistant.