PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Propane Setup

sr73087
03-02-2015, 06:00 PM
I have been throwing the idea around on what my setup should be going into this season. I have 8 red maples that I tap and can only boil for a few hours or on weekends. I would rather stay away from wood since I like the idea of just turning everything on and off. I was going to purchase a propane setup from Smokey Lake since it was exactly what I needed, however I do not have the funds right now. I was thinking a quick fix may be to use a 20" food tray and run it long ways over two turkey fryers with 14" bases. Below is the pan I was thinking about. Would this get me the gph boil rate I need?

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/full-size-standard-weight-anti-jam-stainless-steel-steam-table-hotel-pan-6-deep/4070069.html

Sugarmaker
03-02-2015, 06:03 PM
About a gallon and a half per hour maybe?
Regards,
Chris

sirsloop
03-02-2015, 06:24 PM
other guys running these pans get like 3-4gph per pan... over a raging inferno wood fire

Ski Bum
03-02-2015, 06:58 PM
Keep it cheap. Try it, if you like it there is always next year. I started with 12 taps, turkey fryer base and a stainless roasting pan. We made 2.5 Gals. Grandkids had a ball, we made syrup, they saw were it came from and were able to send some Georgia. Now you know they don't have this sweet stuff down there. Keep it simple and fun!!

Run Forest Run!
03-02-2015, 08:09 PM
My setup is similar to what you are contemplating. I use pans of the same size, except 4" deep instead of 6". If I keep the sap more shallow I can maintain a harder boil. I have two propane burners and use two pans - one over each burner. On average, one 20lb propane tanks yields 1/2 gallon of finished syrup. This year propane is DIRT cheap ($9.99) as compared to last year ($23.99). Yes, my cooking time is longer than those that burn over a wood fire, but it's certainly convenient for me to just turn off the burner, put a lid over the pan and call it a night.